Good Sportsmanship??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2009
Yesterday I saw a championship game where the home team had been up by 9 points. In the top of the 5th the other team brought it back to within 3. Them home team came to bat and it was clear time was getting close to expiring. First two batters get out. The third walks verrrrrry slowly to the plate - pretty obvious what is going on. Then she steps into the batters box and calls time - to tie her shoe. Then she unties and reties the other shoe.:eek:

She hits a pop. Second base makes a diving catch behind her. The visiting team runs to start their at bat but the ump calls the game for time.

Apr 13, 2010
I'd have to say no, that is NOT good sportsmanship.

Championship games in the tourneys we play have been 5 innings no time limit. Surprised that they hold those type of games WITH a time limit.

May 25, 2010
Visiting team had 5 innings to get the job done.

What age level are we talking about here? These are rec all-stars?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I would bet the majority of coaches who post here have stalled a game
for time limit to protect a lead. BTW, a new inning starts when the 3rd
out is made by the home team.

Last weekend we were up 6-0 and the home team, 2 minutes left, plate ump asks
visiting coach if he wanted to play it out or call the game. Coach said 'lets play, I think we can get
3 quick outs.' My 1st batter is hit by pitch, 2nd batter hits one over the fence in CF. Then, game was over
final score 8-0.
sometimes, you need to know when to line 'em up and take the loss

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2009
I would bet the majority of coaches who post here have stalled a game
for time limit to protect a lead. BTW, a new inning starts when the 3rd
out is made by the home team.

Yes, I have "slowed a game down" - by having my batter step out and take her time to bat so as not to let the pitcher speed it up to get her team back to the plate. I would also have my pitcher take her time if we were in the field. But I would never send a girl out with obvious instructions to untie and tie her shoes in the batter's box.

Yes, there was some discussion with the ump about when time expired and the ump stuck to it that it expired before the out.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Hmmm with any timed sporting event is it bad sportsmanship to run out the clock as to not allow the other team the chance? In football, would this be a topic of conversation at all? When softball uses a clock for games, then it becomes part of the game Strategy.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2009
Hmmm with any timed sporting event is it bad sportsmanship to run out the clock as to not allow the other team the chance? In football, would this be a topic of conversation at all? When softball uses a clock for games, then it becomes part of the game Strategy.

Okay, but in any other sport can you think of an opportunity for a player to stop play to tie his/her shoe while the clock is running? My boy plays O-line on varsity squad. If he stopped at the line to tie his shoe . . . yes, that would be a topic of discussion. LOL

Jan 20, 2010

Except that those games are designed to have a clock and have mechanisms in place to prevent abuse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan