Good Sportsmanship??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
My point.. softball shouldn't have timed games, but the reality is you cannot run a Tournament with quite a few teams without using a clock. So time management comes into play. I've lost a couple of games by not using the clock to my advantage. It's part of the timed game. No different than having the catcher call time to talk to the pitcher so the coach doesn't waste a conference is it?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
CoachKevin, have you forgotten what a joy it is to step out on the softball field and play? Every day playing softball (or any game) is a gift from God. For people to throw half an inning is a sin.

To be honest, my players would kill me if I did this. They have went through all the practices, all the driving, putting up with all the stupid umpires, parent and coaches, and me, just to do one thing: PLAY THE GAME. They don't care what the score is--they just want to play.

This is just another case of people putting "winning" ahead of everything else--including enjoying the game. IMHO...people who run out the clock have no concept as to "why" they are even on the field.

Basically: I love coaching during the game. The girls love playing during the game. So, when a coach delays, all he is really doing is reducing the amount of "fun" everyone is having.

More generally:

(A) If a player doesn't run out of the dug out and hustle to the plate, then that kid shouldn't be playing--because she doesn't love the game enough.
(B) Every inning is a chance for something wonderful to happen to one of my players.
(C) A team should be looking to prove its excellence all the time.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
Hmmm with any timed sporting event is it bad sportsmanship to run out the clock as to not allow the other team the chance? In football, would this be a topic of conversation at all? When softball uses a clock for games, then it becomes part of the game stratagy.

At least in football there is a playclock. Basketball a shotclock. I understand what you're saying though and I know I've seen our coaches employ it before but never so blatant as shoe tying.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Here is just one answer from another board (I'm guessing that the OP was referring to)

Very true for most blues, we have been chewed out two weekends in a row by umpire for not stalling. Last one looked at Head Coach and said "two minutes left??? You couldn't have changed pitchers??"

Ended up tied in a pool game we would have won by stalling last weekend. Same philosophy as 2.6, big games don't have a clock, let's find out now if we can hold a lead late, not at nationals. Elimination games are different, should do everything you can to advance and play another game, pretty sure with rain delays even nationals games can be timed, positive from recent experience that qualifiers to nationals can get shortened as well.

Everything within reason, pitching conference, offensive conference, patient batting, subs. I'm sure others had long list of ways to do it, I'm not changing how the kids play the game.

And Sluggers, I do enjoy the game. You say winning at all costs... well as a first year 14U team we are 5-15-2, so winning at all costs isn't the issue, but if using something that is in the rules (the clock) to the team's advantage then I think you should provide the chance for your team to win. Do I instruct the players to stall? No, that is my job, I don't tell them what I am doing. I may call time and talk to either the batter or the defense, or I may give the take sign to the batter until 2 strikes. Are you saying you think that is bad sportsmanship?

Oct 19, 2009
My personal opinion is that this is bad sportsmanship and not the way the game was meant to be played.

In my coaching circles this behavior would be and is frowned upon. It is also remembered.......

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Interesting.... on the other board the majority of people said stall... and the majority here says no. I know the majority of the posters on the other board are travel teams, just wondering what is the majority here?

Hornet, you say this isn't the way the game was meant to be played. Correct me but the game was meant to be 7 innings, not on a clock. So if a timed game is being held then that isn't the way the game was meant to be played in the first place, correct? Adapting a strategy for someone inserting a rule that shouldn't be there in the first place is bad sportmanship?

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD's team has had the stall done to it. No fun to be a part of, especially when the other coach has bee less than sportsman-like for the past 80 minutes, but part of the game.

Sep 3, 2009
Stalling.... wow, I really get irked when I see almost every batter on a team, tie their shoes as it's their turn at bat. What were they doing in the circle? Dugout? Bush league...

Why not triple tie your cleats and leave them tied the whole season for good luck like my weird little baller? :p

Dec 10, 2009
Interesting.... on the other board the majority of people said stall... and the majority here says no. I know the majority of the posters on the other board are travel teams, just wondering what is the majority here?

Hornet, you say this isn't the way the game was meant to be played. Correct me but the game was meant to be 7 innings, not on a clock. So if a timed game is being held then that isn't the way the game was meant to be played in the first place, correct? Adapting a strategy for someone inserting a rule that shouldn't be there in the first place is bad sportmanship?

On the "other board", was the OP about a shoe tying incident? I would like to read it. Can you PM me the link?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG