Good or bad etiquette?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Personally I could care less, I have better things to worry about than a team taking two steps through my dugout. If you are looking for something to get wrapped around the axle you can always find it.

Jan 24, 2011
I would prefer that teams let my team get cleared out before invading the space. Are you really in such a hurry that you cant wait just a few minutes? Why?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I thought this was the case.

I saw this at a tournament this weekend for the first time. The losing team's parents were fairly mad about it, yelling at the coach for being disrespectful. There was one mom who pretty much lost her mind over it.
She was mad that her team lost and decided to take it out on someone. People get wrapped up in a lot of bs. I've been around softball and baseball for 14 years and I have never heard this "rule"

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Seems like the younger the kids, the slower they are at packing up. Grab your stuff and pack up elsewhere. Inexperienced coaches seems to be the bottleneck creators.

edit: and that doesn't mean packing up two steps in front of the dugout opening.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
After things calmed down, one of the assistants for the offending team said to the HC that this sort of thing happens all of the time, not to worry about it.

I don't care one way or the other. I just wondered what the thoughts here were. If I were the HC, I don't think I would do it again.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I've been in the game a lot longer than 14 years and it is the first time that I have heard of this perceived problem. Perhaps, it is a regional problem. As long as the next team isn't in the dugout, putting up their hair and putting their cleats on, I don't care. I am guessing that the team had those back packs hanging in the dugout, instead of ball bags outside the dugout.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I feel this was poor judgement and disrespectful.

Along the lines of what other said...

There must have been another way to get to the field, without having to go through the dugout...through the outfield, winner dugout, etc.

I'm sure you had your team at least throwing the ball around and possibly doing some ground ball work in the wings outside of the playing field. So the "urgency" to rush out and warm up was probably not there.

Just chill for another two minutes and wait...is life that complex and rushed for you and your team? I don't know, while you're waiting you might consider saying a few kind words to the team that just lost as they filed out.

To sum up...totally not necessary.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Amy - To your point I think it is regional. Living and playing in Florida we get to see teams from all over and customs vary. Prime example is the post game routine. In Florida local teams line up at 1st and 3rd base and meet near the circle. Other places it is done at home plate. I think it also has to do with age classification. It seems as though as you move up in age and experience teams tend to worry less about protocol and more about just getting the job done.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Over the years the word respect must have morphed into something other then what it means. People who act disrespectful seem to demand it from others. If someone does something that you deem outside the norm of etiquette (by children). Yelling and "losing your mind" over it. Well you just lost your claim to respect.

A team in a hurry to get their warm ups in during a tourney is not trying to disrespect you. They are trying to warm up. You can argue with me it wasn't the right thing to do, and I might agree. But to claim it as a respect issue, not so much

Parents think they can yell at anyone on the field at anytime, umps, players, coaches, and apparently 3rd teams who have nothing to do with the game that just ended. And demand respect at the same time. Absurd.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp