Good or bad etiquette?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
You are playing the winner of the current game on the field. As soon as the game ends and the teams go out for the handshake line, you have your players grab their gloves, run through the dugout onto the field so that you can practice ground balls before your game. You in no way hindered the losing team in their dugout while doing this. You left all of your equipment out of the dugout, off the field.

Good or bad etiquette?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not a problem and the norm in TB. You were respectful and left your gear outside the dugout. I would much rather a team do that then sit there waiting on us to pack out our crap. It is a win-win for everyone.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Would not bother me as the coach of the loosing team on the field as long as you did not dump your equipment in the dugout or get in the way of my players trying to clean up.

Feb 17, 2014
Not a problem and the norm in TB. You were respectful and left your gear outside the dugout. I would much rather a team do that then sit there waiting on us to pack out our crap. It is a win-win for everyone.

I thought this was the case.

I saw this at a tournament this weekend for the first time. The losing team's parents were fairly mad about it, yelling at the coach for being disrespectful. There was one mom who pretty much lost her mind over it.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Its expected that the players and coach packing up allow the oncoming team to slip by and take the field. The oncoming players leave their bags outside of the dugout and set up later.

Itd be poor etiquette to NOT let them take the field.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is common courtesy and good manners.

Good manners, by definition, causes some delay to the person showing good manners. That is why it is called "courtesy". E.g., it would be more convenient *for me* if I immediately began eating before we said grace. It would more convenient *for me* if I didn't open the door for women.

Personally, it seems a little odd when a coach thinks that an extra two or three minutes of grounders is somehow critical.

I have this nagging suspicion that the kids were running onto the field before the entire team had vacated the dugout to go shake hands.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Unfortunately it is often not a matter of an extra two or three minutes of grounders, it may result in none whatsoever. Given the pressure from most TD's to start immediately the behavior described is the norm, is expected, and is perfectly acceptable.

It is fine and perfectly acceptable.

Personally, I make my team wait until the eliminated team is completely out of their dugout and no longer need anything from it. I just feel better about it and tell my girls that every team deserves our respect at all times and if just one girl on the losing team is upset by our conduct, then we had a bad day.

Also, if my team so desperately needs 2-3 minutes of grounders to win a game then I have not done my job of preparing them for the tournament.

We can wait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1