Golf vs baseball hips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
What are the key differences between the two swings?

What does the baseball player do to give him the timing and the directional adjustment to pitch location?

Keying in on the differences will i believe bring forth some aha moments.

Buttermaker, do you know golf also, enough to help?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'd also be curious of the similarities between the racquetball swing and the baseball/softball swing.

Had a hitter come in tonight that just started taking racquetball instruction. She is being instructed to keep the hands infront of the rear elbow much like we see here.

rkmr6r.gif

Anyone familiar with racquetball that can comment if that is correct or not?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
You could have her lead with the elbow like with the throw, as my player was doing, or have get a feel of hands winning the race, and ending up at the happy medium.

annacompareafterbagdrillgif.gif

annaworkzonescompgif-0.00.15.50rvp.jpg

The thing about a stationary bag filled with foam peanuts, is that while they are at the bag, you can quickly fix things you see, and get lots of reps, high and low.

Back to hips.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mann, described as an over exaggeration drill, it makes more sense.

I have hitters that come to me with a swing in which the hands lead the rear elbow much like your demo ... and such a swing fails these hitters as they attempt to play at a high level. It's a difficult habit to break once you embed it in your swing.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, described as an over exaggeration drill, it makes more sense.

I have hitters that come to me with a swing in which the hands lead the rear elbow much like your demo ... and such a swing fails these hitters as they attempt to play at a high level. It's a difficult habit to break once you embed it in your swing.

Would you fix this swing Fiveframe? his hands are a horrible problem, and cannot seem to get the RVP correct?
Donaldson_082815.gif

I would love to see one of your students with this problem you describe, because after coaching for as long as i have, i have yet to see anything but "bat drag" as the main problem in the hands.

As far as hips in golf, I see a golf stroke alot like a SNF drill swing, but missing what the HLS adds to the sequence which is this
Donaldson_082815-0.00.01.24.jpg i believe this is the directional component, its what you could call a pelvis cradle, allowing Hip extension towards the outside pitch, or allowing extension and rotation towards the inside pitch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Would you fix this swing Fiveframe? his hands are a horrible problem, and cannot seem to get the RVP correct?
Donaldson_082815.gif

I would love to see one of your students with this problem you describe, because after coaching for as long as i have, i have yet to see anything but "bat drag" as the main problem in the hands.

As far as hips in golf, I see a golf stroke alot like a SNF drill swing, but missing what the HLS adds to the sequence which is this
View attachment 9118 i believe this is the directional component, its what you could call a pelvis cradle, allowing Hip extension towards the outside pitch, or allowing extension and rotation towards the inside pitch.

Mann, you may be living a sheltered life. The issue of having the hands lead the elbow is common enough that Doc Yeager put out an entire DVD dedicated to addressing the issue.

You can order the DVD titled “Back Elbow Function and Body Segment Rotation in the Elite Hitter plus Analysis” from this site here ... Dr. Yeager's Baseball

FYI, the basic Around/Along is present in this swing.

r9oler.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00