Going in the right direction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

She is looking better, there is a lot to like, only question right now is does she always follow through so short and abrupt or was that just a function of her trying throw a certain type of pitch.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
about half the time- suggestions on how to work on that would be helpful- Goal (maybe not realistic- but something to work towards) is to gain about 2 mph to her cruising speed by the end of July.

Jun 18, 2010
MandM, she looks strong and fast.... so fast that even playing the video back in slow motion her arm circle is a blur. I think you are to the point you are going to have to get a camera that can capture more of that detail. I was trying to see the ball position coming down the back side but wasn't able to see it. I don't think she is getting much arm whip, but that too is pretty blury. I like the camera angle of the first video better than the second. I'll bet she has a lot of success being a lefty that can throw that hard.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I do have a new camera and will try to get a better video to see her hand position. You are probably right about the arm whip meaning that although she is coming down the back of the circle with the palm up, she has had difficulty having her arm relaxed and leading enough with the elbow if that makes sense. She is a bit stiff and not as "whippy" as she could be. Not so much success as yet- a work in progress. That is why I am looking for other thoughts/drills to help with these issues. PC has been focused on correcting her body position and drive off the rubber- which is much better. She does not emphasize IR (but is not HE)- so this something DD and I have worked on by ourselves.

I am reminded of a line from an old gospel song- "nobody knows the trouble I've seen"- but we keep at it.:)

PS I am one of those parents who has pretty much every video ever made (the focus of many jokes in our house)- which is how I learned enough to move on to the PC she is with now

Last edited:

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm a little concerned about that mat she's pitching off of. It looks like she has a hitch in her drive through—I can't tell from this angle if her foot is leaving the ground, but it slows down right as the stride foot lands and then picks up speed again. She would benefit from smoothing that out and would probably have a hard time working on that with the bump created by the mat meeting the gym floor. If you can get a mat that runs the full length of her stride, that would be better.

It also looks like she's focusing a lot on the height of her stride leg. Rather than lifting it up high from the thigh, I would focus on stretching it out toward the catcher. Every bit of energy moving in another direction (in this case, up) is power taken out of the pitch. That's pretty minor and depending on other things she's working on I may or may not focus on it, but every little thing can make her better!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1