Glove like a flapjack

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2014
Ahh.. The endless tradeoffs with those shoeless janes, great great ready to go broken in glove, but ultimately end up breaking down quickly. The gloves are ultimately designed that way, and you can build them back up, but going forward it will most likely be a yearly thing to do. If you can't stiffen up the pocket, then you are risking errors or even injury on a hard hit ball. Let me know if I can be any help from the Vinci side.

Dave/Drake

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
No problem Gunner and I understand exactly what you're saying. Guess me and my DD just don't fall into that "Most players and parents" sentence. Me and her both like stiff sturdy gloves. One of her TB coaches who played college ball and coaches college now has a completely different approach to gloves than most, one time she got all the girls in a circle around her and had them throw their glove on the ground, only two gloves stayed open, my DD's Vinci and another girl who had a month old Mizuno Global Elite. She told 5 or 6 girls "you need a new glove now"! A couple of them looked dangerous to me.

DD went through a couple gloves in the last few years. The last one was soft like that. She got the Mizuno Global Elite few months ago and loves it. She's a freshman, so hopefully it will get her through HS at least.

Feb 7, 2013
A glove is one of the least expensive aspects of fastpitch. If this is her primary sport, if you need to buy her a new glove every other year, so be it. With that said, I'm not 100% convinced that a flat glove is the worst thing in the world. My DD pitches and beats the crap out of her glove against her left thigh every time she pitches and which tends to cause it to lose its stiffness, shape faster than most other position players gloves, and I have not seen a correlation between her fielding with a newer, stiffer glove and her older more flat variety?

Has anyone done seen a study on fielding % and the stiffness of gloves? I could see the benefit of having a glove that is easy to open and close (i.e. the glove is an extension of the fingers)?

May 23, 2015
I played baseball for Wilson Sports for 5 years and I'm broken in hundreds of gloves for a ton of different players. I only condition gloves one way. I spray the palm of the glove three or four times per year with lexol. The back of the glove only gets conditioning once per year. You want to have rigidity in your fingers of the glove. That's why you see dual welting on hire in gloves. You need to have structure.

If you are planning on having it restrung which may or may not help I strongly suggest contacting DeLand at New Life gloves. He does great work and is a solid gentlemen

Dec 19, 2012
I use lanolin. It's a wax, not an oil so it does not soak in. I've thought about using Lexol but I like to know what I'm putting on my leather. I know Lexol has tanning oils which I believe is oil extracted from cow brains but they will not tell you what else is in it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A glove is one of the least expensive aspects of fastpitch. If this is her primary sport, if you need to buy her a new glove every other year, so be it. With that said, I'm not 100% convinced that a flat glove is the worst thing in the world. My DD pitches and beats the crap out of her glove against her left thigh every time she pitches and which tends to cause it to lose its stiffness, shape faster than most other position players gloves, and I have not seen a correlation between her fielding with a newer, stiffer glove and her older more flat variety?

Has anyone done seen a study on fielding % and the stiffness of gloves? I could see the benefit of having a glove that is easy to open and close (i.e. the glove is an extension of the fingers)?

As 625 mentioned in the comment below yours, stiffness in the fingers is important. Easy to open and close is fine (broken-in hinges/palm), but if the structure of the fingers breaks down, balls that would otherwise be funneled into the pocket just flop the fingers back, and the ball gets away. I have seen this plenty of times, including at my DD's team practice last night with a Shoeless Jane glove.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Buy 1 more glove.... But it'll be the glove she wear throughout college... Vinci Optimus. Expensive but it's the last one... So money saved.
FYI. This glove requires a MASSIVE break in period. I'm still considering sending it to the wisperer

Jul 3, 2013
I'm not sure why we complain about buying high dollar gloves yet we drop tons of coin on bats just hoping to find the one she is confident with.
I think the complaint is that high dollars were spent and the longevity isn't there.

I have no first hand experience with Shoeless Joe/Jane gloves, but I've seen gloves relaced and plastic inserts placed in the thumb and pinky to stiffen it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06