Glove clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2021
Is there a difference between what sporting good stores sell as a baseball glove and a softball glove? I thought I read once that the webbing width is bigger for FP than for BB due to the 12" ball, but I can't find that reference anymore. I'm considering a different glove than the one I used 32 years ago as a 9yo rec baseball player. I'm coaching my daughters rec team and some catches I make have me wondering if I need something a bit different, or, it could just be the way I'm catching the ball.

Sep 19, 2018
Yes, you need a new glove. 32 years is old enough. a baseball glove is fine for a dad (or even a young lady). I used a 12 inch baseball glove to play softball for years. As noted, the fast pitch gloves often have small hand stalls. I can't get my hand into my dd mitt.

Oct 4, 2018
I've read that sometimes baseball gloves are just better made, because... you know, boys and money/market size and such.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I found that a 12.75" outfield pattern baseball glove to be a very good choice as my "coach's glove"
Do you also have a son playing baseball where a new glove would serve a dual roll? If not Eric's post is a good staring point! But definitely get a baseball glove! You know there's an unwritten rule that if a Dad gets a FP glove with Velcro for himself.....it has to be pink!!

What's your budget?

Eric's 12.75" recommendation is probably the most common for Dad's catching a softball, I'm more in the 12" to 12.25" camp!

Apr 8, 2021
Yeah it's really confusing when I try to try on some gloves and the wrist opening is like "what?" Then others which are labeled as softball as well are like that's a huge wrist and hand stall. There is one glove that I've tried on, and like, but is about $119 and out of our budget for right now. I also don't know if my daughter will want to play next year, this season is just a two month rec league. My glove that I have now is 11.5" so maybe I will look at the 12.75 recommendation next time I can and even take a tape measure with me to satisfy my OCD. Thanks everyone.

Apr 8, 2021
I would like to revisit this briefly.
1. While I fully agree a 12.75 outfield pattern would work. Would a 1B mitt work even better for a coach?
2. My 12yo DD just started pitching lessons and I expect I will have to catch for her in the relative future. May this change your answer for question 1 above?

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA