Girls using illegal bats. Lawsuits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Really? Because someone seeks to sue someone who has done something that contributed to an injury to their child, you suggest that there is something wrong with this?

No, I have a problem with the vindictive manner in which alleged human beings act. I'm tired of the "screw him, I'm gonna get rich and that putz and his family should end up living underneath the interstate" feeling to which the morons in this country seem to feel entitled.

My daughter was hit in the face by a young lady who had the reputation for using shaved bats. It was very serious. Before they had my daughter off the field, the dad had the bat, went to his car and left the scene. So, it was wrong of us to consider seeking damages for harm done to our 14 year old daughter? Unbelievable!

What is unbelievable is that when the parents were warned that this was coming, they dismissed it as a SP problem that isn't their concern. Now, the world is coming to an end, and who is to blame? BTW, let's just go back to wood. Would you be good with that? Fewer, if any, home runs and back to the low scoring games because the equipment isn't doing the hitting?

And would you be willing to spend the $300 you will need to pay for the bat you want taken because the only way to make sure is to destroy the bat and someone is going to have to pay to replace it if it wasn't altered?

Edited to add: We had video of the game and so of the bat which included the whole incident. The video was running when dad picked up the bat and headed for the sidelines. If some might recall, I posted an edited version of that incident on this website. It was placed on a local newspaper website. I did not make that video.

That's nice, but useless.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
MTR, if a person causes harm to another, shouldn't that person pay for the damage caused? Or, should society ignore that?

If a guy goes out and modifies his car so it can run 500 MPH and then runs it into a school bus, should he pay for the damage he caused? Or do we just say, "The kids on the school bus should have been home schooled."???

Jul 9, 2010
It's just curious to me that these types of threads, along with the ones about college coaches and fielding masks, are started by parents of 10u and 12u.

I didn't even understand the look back rule at that age, and players these days are already looking for shaved bats.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
And would you be willing to spend the $300 you will need to pay for the bat you want taken because the only way to make sure is to destroy the bat and someone is going to have to pay to replace it if it wasn't altered?

Not wanting to get into an argument, but wouldn't it be much easier to weigh the bat? Even if the manufacture's weigh may be off ( Ie Anderson's ) all the bats off the line should be the same. Shaved would be 1-3 ounces lighter.

Also a quick pop off of the end cap could reveal any shaving. If its clean, you glue it back on.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. Weighing the bat does not show that it has been altered, nor does looking down the barrel. If it was rolled, it wouldn't show anything anyway.

If 30 inch bats are being sold on Ebay as "hot" and not legal for play, who do you think is buying them? Not SP men. At least, not for themselves.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I googled "bat shaving and rolling." A complete page of hits came up. I signed on to one and clicked that I agree, on his page. The first one that I chose had a selection of 29 inch, 19 inch CF4s.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
No. Weighing the bat does not show that it has been altered, nor does looking down the barrel. If it was rolled, it wouldn't show anything anyway.

Amy its me, I know rolling is almost impossible to detect unless someone does a bad job of it with creases. :)

I was referring to shaved. Cause yes, you can see the marks where the lathe has been used inside. If they are smart they "add" the lost weight back into the cap, making some bats end loaded and even hotter.

I think there should be some type of provision or umpire judgement that when a player is medium to seriously hurt there should be a rule that the bat is confiscated for testing. The key would be it must be tested in a reasonable amount of time. ( 5-10 days )

The problem is people are steady buying these juiced bats because they are very hard to prove without physically looking inside. But on the other hand, we get tested every game for flaws/dents in HS ball. If the test ring won't slide, you can't use the bat. Digital scales are dirt cheap, you test the weight if it's correct the bat passes. If not that's the start of a red flag.

If they add weight to the shaved bat, then it should be part of the umpire's responsibilities to notice Sally half swinging and the ball traveling 250 feet. If its quite obvious, yes the bat should be taken and checked. We are talking about the possibility of saving a life or lives. Until organizations take the reigns and start putting pressure on violators, nothing will change.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I quit SP after I noticed old ladies, that were 62 years old, taking half swings and knocking the ball to the fence. These were my teammates. Our bats were never tested or even looked at.

I just don't want people to think that altered bats aren't happening at 10U.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dd hit a pitcher with a line drive this year. It scared the ba jesus out of me and everyone there. She dropped and did not move, I thought it killed her! Parents and coaches ran onto field, game stopped, I was fighting tears thinking I just saw a little girl die. She ended up ok, just bruised, but I don't want to feel that again.

Dd hit my throwing hand 2 weeks ago when I didn't get it behind the screen fast enough. It still pulses pain up my arm. It scares the heck out of me to throw front toss to her. Dw went with to bp today and later said dd needs someone to pitch faster than I do, I said "I was pitching slower to make sure I had a second to get my a$$ behind the net.". These bats are crazy hot legal, I can't imagine what shaving would do.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
MTR,

You sparked my curiosity. Why was this portion of my post useless?

"Edited to add: We had video of the game and so of the bat which included the whole incident. The video was running when dad picked up the bat and headed for the sidelines. If some might recall, I posted an edited version of that incident on this website. It was placed on a local newspaper website. I did not make that video." In talking to a lawyer, this was very important. Your take?

BTW, this was a high school game and I know that information is useless. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes