Girls using illegal bats. Lawsuits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

G

gilbo

now let me flip the coin on you, lets just say u buy a USED bat bcuz you don't think a $300 bat is necessary for league play and u have never heard of shaving or rolling bats b4. there are parents out there who have never heard of that out there, and u buy a used bat from a seller who bought it used from some1 else, with no mention of the bat being shaved or rolled

then your daughter uses the bat, and injures a girl, come to find out the bat is shaved or rolled, then who r u gonna sue ???

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is the sellers responsibility to disclose that the bat was altered. Most will say "Not approved for league play." Or for use in "hitting derbies, only." If you buy a used bat, I would think that you are still responsible.

If you buy a dog that is dangerous, it is ultimately your responsibility to make certain the dog doesn't bite someone. Could you in turn sue the original owner? I suppose.

Nov 1, 2009
People cheat. Some people block the plate before the ball is there, some bake the balls, some leave the bag early. To the people who buy hot bats this is just another break of a rule that doesn't hurt anyone unless they are caught. The reality is this cheat could really injure a child permanently and if caught a coach should be banned for life.

If you see a bat that has the end come off of it, it is probably been altered. If you see a whole team using the same bat the bat has probably been altered. If you know your team is using an altered bat and don't report it then you are as guilty as the person who bought the bat. Every parent and coach needs to have just a little bit of character or the game will lose its luster.

Oct 19, 2009
How prevalent is rolling or shaving bats? My daughter and I went to the local recreation center to throw and pitch some. Only kids play no adults league 14 and under to diaper league. I had to run to the rest room and lying on the sink and toilet tank was a stack of cards where some guy was advertising to shave and roll bats, and advertising how much faster and farther he could have your child hitting the ball.

I’ve never had experience using or had a player play for me I thought had a juiced bat, but if they did I would remove it immediately. It is not worth the possibility of hurting a kid; if it happens with a regulation bat with a good swing then it happens if it happens with an altered bat that’s another issue.

I have a friend who is attorney and had 4 kids that play softball and baseball and he and I had a conversation on this subject. If a kid is hurt by a hit ball and the parents of the kid or the insurance company of the parents push the issue then the person or company sewing would sue the parents, tournament director, the umpires and back to the manufactures of the bat and balls. If a bat out performs the legal limit then the manufacture of the bat could be liable. If the bat was altered then the parents could be liable, I would much rather the bat company be found labial than me.

Personally I would have no problems with bats that are less hot that the current ones, wonder if there are some stats of how many kids get injured each year and how they have increased as the bat manufactures have increased the performance of the bats.

I loved the point rowdy made:

Every parent and coach needs to have just a little bit of character or the game will lose its luster.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
In reference to issues for younger teams, I also noticed that that ball compression is lower in younger leagues (.375 HS, for example, thank goodness), versus .400 in college (you notice the difference when playing with different balls, as well). Have not looked at international rules, looking for them.

But I don't think regulating the ball is the answer. and I don't think for younger kids, they can really take advantage of a shaved or rolled bat. The larger issue is how the bats come from the manufacturer. That can be controlled, and it must be soon.

Very well said, I agree 100%

Aug 1, 2012
IMO, and it just my opinion we are way too litigious. I do not condone cheating and I don't know how much you would see shaved / altered bats in 10u-14u. Also not sure you could even tell the difference if a kid was swinging an altered bat.

Also, it really makes no difference from a pitcher or infielders perspective what the batter is swinging - composite bats, aluminum bats, wood bats - any of these could be dangerous - especially when pitchers are only 35 feet away and sometimes corner infielders are less than 20 feet away.

All sports athletes have become better trained and they are bigger, faster and stronger. There will always be a level of danger. It's part of the game. Let's stop trying to diminish competitive sports and make sure they have the right gear to protect them from most of what could happen (face masks / heart guards) and move on.

I think the most dangerous HS sport is cheerleading (if you consider it a sport). Do we impose rules that they cannot do any stunts because Suzie fell and broke her leg? Of course not, it is an inherant part of the sport.

I'm so blown away by your comments, I don't even know where to begin. No offense, but if you don't think an altered bat makes any difference, you probably haven't played competitive baseball or softball. Even if swung by 10yo girls, the result would still be relative to that level. I play modified fastpitch and have played slow pitch....those bats make a huge difference and it's just as easy to acquire one as it is to buy a legit bat. I could buy a brand new shaved/rolled bat online with the same ease as purchasing a brand new legit bat. Click...click....click....credit card/shipping info. Boom. It's that easy.

Yes, of course bats are already dangerous....that's why there's no need to alter them and make them MORE dangerous. Playing 3rd base against a power hitter is one thing....but playing 3rd base against a power hitter with a doctored bat is another thing....a much more dangerous thing....speaking from experience. Cars are also dangerous.....in terms of safety, do you want your 16 year old driving a 4 cyl honda accord, or a Lamborghini???

I'm glad you mentioned improved conditioning, faster, stronger, etc. All the more reason NOT to start doctoring the bats. As it is, players are faster and stronger.....throw in doctored equipment, and it won't be long before infielders are required to wear helmets. It's not about avoiding danger....it's about limiting danger.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
That's why me dd wears a mask from combat , they make the hot bats so what better company to make the mask and begining this year my dd is wearing the protective shirt from evo-shield. My dd says you can't even tell the shirt is even on and she pitches with no problem. The parents should be liable if a girl gets hurt due to a altered bat.

LOVE EVO Shield! My entire team wears them. No one knows, no one is self conscience, no one over heats, I could go on and on..on this stuff. And We all wear mask. I think the negative opinions of certain safety gear will change to match the reality of our sport getting bigger, faster, stronger and more understanding on how to play at a top level. Therefore I try to get the parents to understand and support the idea of safety gear. It is worn in most all other sport.

Nov 6, 2011
I have never seen a rolled or shaved bat. How do you tell?

A shaved bat is about 1- 1/2 ounce lighter (on a 34/28 bat) and when you pop off the end cap the inside will be smooth. A none shaven bat will have a very rough inside. A rolled bat has no signs of change because you're really just breaking down the composite material to make the ball jump.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A shaved bat is about 1- 1/2 ounce lighter (on a 34/28 bat) and when you pop off the end cap the inside will be smooth. A none shaven bat will have a very rough inside. A rolled bat has no signs of change because you're really just breaking down the composite material to make the ball jump.

Just by reading the bat shavers ads online.... They add the shaved off weight back to the bat (if you like). So weight dosent change. One says that there will be lath marks inside, but they add an optional resin that smoothes it out. You could be suspicious if one stealth sounds different and hits longer, but without the cap coming off, a compression test, or the bat breaking, there is no way to tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog