Girls using illegal bats. Lawsuits?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
to notice Sally half swinging and the ball traveling 250 feet. If its quite obvious, yes the bat should be taken and checked. .

Does this really happen? A check swing HR? I guess I've never seen a juiced bat, because I've never seen anything like that.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Does this really happen? A check swing HR? I guess I've never seen a juiced bat, because I've never seen anything like that.

Well......a little exaggeration. I've told this story DD's freshman year, had another freshman from a school in the district hit 16 homeruns that season. She was 5'6 and about 125. Stevie Wonder could see how that ball flew off the bat, it's nothing like a normal bat. This was a girl who I knew well as I coached her 3 years in rec ( 6-9 ) and DD played against and picked up pitching for her TB team once in a while.

I called her parents after the season and told them I knew what they were doing. They denied of coarse, but I told them I couldn't allow to sit back and take the chance on someone getting hurt and I'd have to report the bat to TSSAA. ( wheather it did any good or not ) I also told them it would ruin her chance of any college ball if it were to be proven true. The next year new bat, no homeruns. This year ( junior ) she hit 2, but has also gained about 20 pounds of muscle.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I understand that players routinely grab bats and return them to the bat rack. However, ever see a dad run on to the field, grab a bat and take off running to a car, all on video, and then leave? The game was not over. Why would a dad grab a bat during a high school game and leave with it? I guess the reason is obvious to me and not to you.

I said bat bag, not bat rack, completely different thing. I also previously noted that I agree it is suspicious. Have you read the posts?

But it doesn't make a bit of difference, because it doesn't mean anything can be done no matter how obvious anything is.

The only people that can do anything about this is the player's team, but I'm willing to bet they will do nothing.

Aug 14, 2012
I just posted a new thread on this same topic. 8u/10u coach and I did not know because how am I suppose to know unless told. Parent admitted it but only when I approached them about it. question is what to do now with parent and/or reporting the violation?

Aug 14, 2011
This is crazy. Bad enough when a teenager does it, but 8U? Sounds like this parent is heading down a dangerous road of daughter having to be the best and cheating to do it. I would steer clear.
Do you believe that the parent is a newbie, didn't fully grasp what was involved as far as danger, illegal use, sanctions against coach, team and player if discovered? Or is he more experienced, knew what was going on, tried to hide it, etc? That should help you make a decision.
I would think most people may deserve a second chance if they are honest...but you're there. We're not. That's your call.

BUT, I also think that you now know he's done it. If he stays on the team and does it again and gets caught, or God forbid, somebody gets hurt, it could come back on you--that you knew about it once and didn't adequately stop it.

Aug 14, 2011
The only people that can do anything about this is the player's team, but I'm willing to bet they will do nothing.
This is so true. Too many coaches know what's going on, and are even active participants, all for a win. It never ceases to amaze me at the lack of basic human ethics and morals that can be missing in something as simple as a Game. And of course, the wonderful values these people are passing on to the kids involved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog