Getting "turn the barrel" to stick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Went ahead and edited my last post...can of worms open i do not want...

Please help with this. important or not? Am i missing something?

we are looking for something that i can show her for her grip...i can explain it all day, but she want to see. where the bat lays in the fingers.

THis is important for us...we are working on this almost every day. THanks all.

bat jack.
the-bat-jack-grip-trainer-1.jpg

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

RHC,
I don't disagree with the article. It talks about 2 players with 1 piece swings and what was done during "training" to get this end result:
In both cases, we had to get the body to sequence the loading process correctly – lower body continuing into the upper body, with fluidity.
I like the word fluidity. It makes me believe there is no clamp/hold in his teaching.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
With both players, we worked the scap load during the coil/advance and continuing to pull back even as the lower body began to fire. I was able to work this with the youth player in person and the college player via Skype. The results: The 10U players first home run – an oppo shot (which made me smile even more) and the D1 player had his first collegiate 4 hit game.
Here are the emails/texts:
10U player’s dad: ”…He hit his first home run. Down the right field line. When I gave him a high five in the dugout, he had a big smile and the first thing he said was “scap load…”
College player text: ” 4 for 4 today. Could feel the scap load really good.”
Same flaw, same coaching points, same results – two totally different ends of the playing spectrum.

Yes a good article from one of the nation's top travel ball programs....putting out some of the best high schoolers in the country. I think someone said "5 prospects in the top 20 list."

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yes a good article from one of the nation's top travel ball programs....putting out some of the best high schoolers in the country. I think someone said "5 prospects in the top 20 list."
Yeah, this is what the College player said:
College player text: ” 4 for 4 today. Could feel the scap load really good.
I wonder why he didn't say: "I really LOADED the scap good."

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Your premise is wrong. A guy who's loading his scap is going to get tagged. A guy who's scap GETS loaded will do the tagging. Active vs. Reactive.

Maybe thats way my face looks the way it does.
If you don't mind? Can you explain the difference between 'loading scap' and 'scap GETS loaded'. If it is easier just point me to a thread on BBD(sure it has been covered). You can just give me the title and I will re-read it. I'm sure I read the thread but, mis-understood. Thanks as always.

Added: (source sure you already read) The role of the scap is simply to take out slack....so the energy, from the leg, which breaks the SnF at barrel turn, reaches the barrel. If the scap doesn't remove the natural slack that exists by the it's tendency to 'flop around'.....or worse yet.....push forward....the energy will dissipate....bleed....thoughout the torso.....instead of going straight to the barrel. Most of it will not reach the barrel.
Does this correctly explain it?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
If you don't mind? Can you explain the difference between 'loading scap' and 'scap GETS loaded'. If it is easier just point me to a thread on BBD(sure it has been covered). You can just give me the title and I will re-read it. I'm sure I read the thread but, mis-understood. Thanks as always.

Added: (source sure you already read) The role of the scap is simply to take out slack....so the energy, from the leg, which breaks the SnF at barrel turn, reaches the barrel. If the scap doesn't remove the natural slack that exists by the it's tendency to 'flop around'.....or worse yet.....push forward....the energy will dissipate....bleed....thoughout the torso.....instead of going straight to the barrel. Most of it will not reach the barrel.

Good question rdbass.

Is it because as the bottom is moving one way, and the top the other? so with the pelvis beginning to open, as you have rocked the u, the tension is greatest at this point, in the scap?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Good question rdbass.

Is it because as the bottom is moving one way, and the top the other? so with the pelvis beginning to open, as you have rocked the u, the tension is greatest at this point, in the scap?

Yes...can be. ...the resistance the back is creating when the rear leg is turning forward. I feel like if my back muscles are not pulling it in and back continually, I have no stretch...just doesn't feel right, like my barrel isn't connected to my body and can only arm swing.

Now my punching machine discription was just to feel where you scap is and feel it pinched or scap loaded against the spine. I am not saying your first move is the "load your scap" like a punch.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

I don't know rd, seems to me JS doesn't understand the HL swing either??? :rolleyes:

May 14, 2008
The role of the scaps loading does include taking the "natural slack out"but it's primary goal is to unload the scaps into the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00