Getting "turn the barrel" to stick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
WHEN, in the swing do you "turn the barrel"?

You FIGHT, fight, to keep the barrel up, so, do you turn the barrel somewhere in the LAG? at the end of?

what is the correct way to tell you students?

I explain it as the action that triggers "turning the triangle." You can't turn the triangle without first turning the barrel.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Secrets in the
images

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
It is my understanding that the knob to the catcher is achieved by pulling the right elbow back and up (scapula loading?).

I tell my DD that scalp loading is what the top half is doing why the bottom half is coiling in.

Yes absolutely. Great comment. There are so many tiny little things that the natural athletes do naturally, but others need to be told/shown and hopefully have their AHA moment. Two batters could achieve a good loaded position with coiled hips, hand separation and knob pointed at the catcher, and yet it could be very hard to tell that one is scap loading and the other is not.

Justin Stone is the first to emphasize scap loading in the swing as far as I know, but maybe it was identified earlier.

This leads to a very underestimated aspect IMO, I've finally coached enough years to run into a batter or three who had great looking swings and yet weren't quite getting the results. After much hair pulling the problem was discovered was essentially not scap loading, and therefore twisting a tiny bit too far, which leads to a less explosive unloading, a tiny bit longer to the ball, and last but by no means least, a tiny fraction of a second where the back eye can be shielded and then suddenly unshielded from the ball.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
...although I should have added that I don't think the pulling of the back elbow back and up is what achieves scap load, rather as hips start to uncoil at teh very very beginning, the torso is resisting and the hands are staying back in load. So IMO scap load actually occurs a very small amount of time after hand and hip loading

R

RayR

I am a Justin Stone fan, but scap loading pre dates him by years.

Yes absolutely. Great comment. There are so many tiny little things that the natural athletes do naturally, but others need to be told/shown and hopefully have their AHA moment. Two batters could achieve a good loaded position with coiled hips, hand separation and knob pointed at the catcher, and yet it could be very hard to tell that one is scap loading and the other is not.

Justin Stone is the first to emphasize scap loading in the swing as far as I know, but maybe it was identified earlier.

This leads to a very underestimated aspect IMO, I've finally coached enough years to run into a batter or three who had great looking swings and yet weren't quite getting the results. After much hair pulling the problem was discovered was essentially not scap loading, and therefore twisting a tiny bit too far, which leads to a less explosive unloading, a tiny bit longer to the ball, and last but by no means least, a tiny fraction of a second where the back eye can be shielded and then suddenly unshielded from the ball.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Before this thread, I have never heard of SCAP LOADING, but did a bit of research...This post on BBF seemed to help... Scap Load [Archive] - Baseball Fever

Bottom line is my oversimplification of right hand pulling will cause more problems if I dont understand what that motion is meant to do...I think i truly understand THAT now.

Last edited:

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Went ahead and edited my last post...can of worms open i do not want...

Please help with this. important or not? Am i missing something?

we are looking for something that i can show her for her grip...i can explain it all day, but she want to see. where the bat lays in the fingers.

THis is important for us...we are working on this almost every day. THanks all.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Went ahead and edited my last post...can of worms open i do not want...

Please help with this. important or not? Am i missing something?

we are looking for something that i can show her for her grip...i can explain it all day, but she want to see. where the bat lays in the fingers.

THis is important for us...we are working on this almost every day. THanks all.
Recognize that the scap will get activated with the proper lower half running start AND retained hands. Purposely activating and clamping the scap is complete non-sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283