Getting the Axe

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Probably should have done in person, but at least you know what the deal is and can move on. It sounds like you were out anyway and I'm sure he knew that so let it go. What you need to do now is make an honest assessment of your DD and see where to go next. TB can be so much fun or it can be a nightmare. Before you join a team do some research and see how they are.

Thanks CJ, we were out for sure and I do think he figured that out in the last week. While we joined mid-season, DD's best friend from our local rec team and school played on that team. They were and are still very satisfied and just as perplexed as we were with the twists and turns the season took. They have been in TB for years and have an older DD playing as well.

We are really vetting the teams we are trying out with and after seeing a lot of them play against us we have a much better idea where DD might fit. Tryout season is upon us - let the silly season begin!

Jun 11, 2013
Thanks CJ, we were out for sure and I do think he figured that out in the last week. While we joined mid-season, DD's best friend from our local rec team and school played on that team. They were and are still very satisfied and just as perplexed as we were with the twists and turns the season took. They have been in TB for years and have an older DD playing as well.

We are really vetting the teams we are trying out with and after seeing a lot of them play against us we have a much better idea where DD might fit. Tryout season is upon us - let the silly season begin!

I wish you and DD the best of luck. We've never really run into a bad coach, but have had a couple of teams that were just bad fits for DD. I hope she can find a great situation.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Handling an email like this must be done diplomatically. First, print it out and then...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ICZ06gYpu6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Handling an email like this must be done diplomatically. First, print it out and then...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ICZ06gYpu6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A friend of mine who was a HC for about 7 years suggested I send a reply email saying "thanks for the email, it saved me from having to call you and telling you we are leaving".....but this seems more appropriate, LOL :eek:

Feb 7, 2013
Another reason why ALL travel ball teams should have tryouts at least once every season. This way anyone can show up and coaches don't have to "cut" players, they just don't ask them to join the team after evaluations. I see too many players that get complacent and feel a sense of entitlement (e.g. last year's SS thinks its her position indefinitely) on teams without tryouts.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We never "dumped" a player right after the season unless there was a MAJOR issue with the player or the parents. We would invite all of the current players to tryouts and would make decisions there. As we were coming up through the ranks we tried to churn the bottom 1/4 of our roster to help the team improve.

Jun 29, 2013
I got a phone call after tryouts from a coach once, telling us there wasn't a spot for my kid. I didn't like the news but appreciated the fact that the guy did call. And everything worked for the best in the long run.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We never "dumped" a player right after the season unless there was a MAJOR issue with the player or the parents. We would invite all of the current players to tryouts and would make decisions there. As we were coming up through the ranks we tried to churn the bottom 1/4 of our roster to help the team improve.

I guess my question is whether the bottom 1/4 knew in advance they were the bottom 1/4 and were at risk? You may say they should have known, but denial is a strong defense mechanism. Would coaches ever take players (or parents) aside far in advance and say, "Hey, things aren't looking great, and if they don't improve, you may not be asked back to join the team next year?" And if not, why not? Do you think some communication would be seen as straightforward or as disrespectful? I, as a parent, would appreciate the heads-up, but others' mileage may vary.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I can see both points in the "cut" and telling a parent up front that there is not a spot on the team for that player. One allows the player the slim chance that they can change minds and if not, they were beaten out by better players. The other allows the parents to find tryouts for their players that they know will give their child a fighting chance to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad