Getting Paid???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've never made a dime, but consider myself a wealthy man with all the great times and experiences I've had the privilege to be in with this wonderful game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. The new organization that I spoke at, on Sunday, pays the boy's coaches. The softball coach refused any pay and her money will go back into the program. The director didn't give a dollar amount, he said that it would work out to cents per hour.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The biggest advantage of paid coaches is that typically means the coach does not have a DD on the team, which eliminates "daddy ball". It is also helpful if the head coach is not giving paid lessons to half the team creating "hitting coach ball".....

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Are there any TB coaches out there that are getting paid? Just a curious question.

Yep - not a lot of money in most cases, but absolutely. I've seen it done very well and very successfully and I have also seen it done terribly. Most successfully I have seen larger well organized travel organizations bring in experienced coaches to run several teams and player fees pay for the coaches and their travel expenses. Often these experienced coaches successfully coached their DD's through travel for several years and missed the experience once their daughters went off to college.

Sometimes the local Private HS is basically running a farm system travel program. Lots of paid coaches and recruited teams leading into the HS program. There is at least two of these locally where I am and several in the state.

I've seen where daddy ball was an issue so to solve it they bring in a paid head coach to run the team. I'd love to say it stops Daddy Ball but in some cases the paid head coach is just the surrogate since Daddy Coach helped bring them in. (Daddy generally has a title like team manager or something similar).

Sometimes a hitting/skills coach forms a team from her students. That works out OK mostly (except in the case where they aren't a very good hitting coach or they steal a bunch of players from a team they had originally been brought in to work with).

I am sure there are lots of other success and failure stories out there.

Apr 9, 2012
I usually get a Applebees gift card at the end of the season. (Couldnt help myselt-stole this from another thread)

If a player doesnt play for me directly I get paid for lessons which I put into a scholarship fund for our college bound athletes.

Other than that I dont want or need to get paid.

Nov 29, 2009
The program I coach in has paid non-parent coaches and assistant coaches from the 12u through 18U Gold levels. The 11U and 10U teams have parent coaches this season. They will not be coaching when their DD's up to 12U and above.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Never did get a copy of the books, but if they weren't paid directly they certain had ALL travel comped. $10k+ in sponsorship, 1700 player fees for 12 (if they actually paid themselves), and 500/per person fundraising = way too much dough in and out of pockets

May 13, 2012
I got paid last night as a matter of fact. While some might not think it was much, I thought it was great payday. Two seperate phone calls by two giddy girls "I made the HS team".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207