Get the Rear Foot Straight in Stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
and an (albeit slight) armbar.

It’s not the arm barring, it’s the position of the hands. The rotational point for his hands is behind the back shoulder or a deep corner is being setup.

I’ve seen kids who were instructed to arm bar and It loses all meaning. The back elbow gets out of place and they all swung out of plane. Basically they swung flat.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not a lot of “back” in his move. I think the gather stuff or negative move stuff get over baked and cause problems. Trouts load is his knee lift. Rear foot straight, knee inside foot and its anchored. Knee lift is against it. Not sure if this pattern would work for younger hitters. Don’t have the strength/balance to knee lift without moving the rear knee over the rear foot.

yeah. I don’t want any ‘back’ in the frontal plane but we do want it in the s-plane. Try doing a RDL squat pattern with bat in your hands. See what you feel. Toe ‘out’a bit if you want your glutes to load deeper.

1587682378137.gif

Reactions: TDS
Oct 26, 2019
It’s not the arm barring, it’s the position of the hands. The rotational point for his hands is behind the back shoulder or a deep corner is being setup.

I’ve seen kids who were instructed to arm bar and It loses all meaning. The back elbow gets out of place and they all swung out of plane. Basically they swung flat.

yea I should have given that comment more context. Just meant an armbar is usually liked at as a negative, but many hitters comepretty close to a straight bottom hand arm (Ruth, Griffey) and it works for them.

Jul 29, 2013
This is the great bambino lol. I want the back hip closed in the stance. Rear foot straight closes it. Babe has instep pressure and it’s maintained. His back knee is inside his back foot, also good. Too many young hitters miss this simple teach. This thread is aimed at parents assisting their DDs
Babe Ruth 4:59

Feb 25, 2020
Babe Ruth 4:59

"Open without spinning" is great. Very nice video.

Can't help but think of this(maybe a couple frames late)
20200413_213130.jpg

If he would have demod with hip flexion (buckle pointed down) and/or mentioned it, he'd get 5 stars from me haha.

Explains Bonds big "pump" in his "wind up". I watch myself do mini versions of it.(more like micro version).

Nice video.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
yea I should have given that comment more context. Just meant an armbar is usually liked at as a negative, but many hitters comepretty close to a straight bottom hand arm (Ruth, Griffey) and it works for them.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with a straight lead arm. I personally have a similar arm length and shoulder width. Many hitters have a similar length that places the hands right off the back shoulder.

Many girls have a narrow shoulder width with their arms are twice the length of their shoulders. If they start with their hands right off their back shoulder, their lead arm remains very bent.
For me to get the hands/bat farther back like Babe Ruth, I have get the lead arm low or elbow low (hands low) and then reach back. That creates the same position as Ruth.

If I just reach back across my chest, keep the arm up or straight across the chest, I can’ t get the hands very far back.

I have just seen what happens when there is arm barring because it’s thought it creates a greater front side stretch. Or that it creates a greater stretch.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
you mean like this? I don’t think any energy is leaked . I want foot eversion to be felt when learning. I want players to get to that end ROM. In their hips and back leg. ‘Toe out’ will help all of the above. Not to mention getting into the glutes better. In game maybe a neutral foot is best but it really depends on the players hip mobility imo.

View attachment 17262

I’m going to try to duplicate this swing just to see if it would be a good drill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207