Get the Rear Foot Straight in Stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
you mean like this? I don’t think any energy is leaked . I want foot eversion to be felt when learning. I want players to get to that end ROM. In their hips and back leg. ‘Toe out’ will help all of the above. Not to mention getting into the glutes better. In game maybe a neutral foot is best but it really depends on the players hip mobility imo.

View attachment 17262
This is the great bambino lol. I want the back hip closed in the stance. Rear foot straight closes it. Babe has instep pressure and it’s maintained. His back knee is inside his back foot, also good. Too many young hitters miss this simple teach. This thread is aimed at parents assisting their DDs

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is the great bambino lol. I want the back hip closed in the stance. Rear foot straight closes it. Babe has instep pressure and it’s maintained. His back knee is inside his back foot, also good. Too many young hitters miss this simple teach. This thread is aimed at parents assisting their DDs

Yes. I think all these threads are to assist others.

back hip closed in stance? Pigeon toed or back hip loaded? Coiled? Or just neutral?

Aug 20, 2017
Yes. I think all these threads are to assist others.

back hip closed in stance? Pigeon toed or back hip loaded? Coiled? Or just neutral?
Neutral to closed is my preference. Too many kids get overloaded (knee over back foot) losing instep pressure which typically causes the move forward to come to late. Some are able to recover from it. I don’t like using the word coil for hips. I like compressed. I think too much inward turn of the rear foot can causes issues also but prefer it to open when working with lower level hitters.

OT question: what was your (and others) opinion on the external rotation of the rear knee that was discussed in another thread

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
you mean like this? I don’t think any energy is leaked . I want foot eversion to be felt when learning. I want players to get to that end ROM. In their hips and back leg. ‘Toe out’ will help all of the above. Not to mention getting into the glutes better. In game maybe a neutral foot is best but it really depends on the players hip mobility imo.

View attachment 17262

Another HOF’er with low hands.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Neutral to closed is my preference. Too many kids get overloaded (knee over back foot) losing instep pressure which typically causes the move forward to come to late. Some are able to recover from it. I don’t like using the word coil for hips. I like compressed. I think too much inward turn of the rear foot can causes issues also but prefer it to open when working with lower level hitters.

OT question: what was your (and others) opinion on the external rotation of the rear knee that was discussed in another thread

I don’t worry about getting over the rear knee. I have them load in the s-plane or like a squat
pattern.

I want ER in the rear knee it shows me the back hip has taken the slack out.mobility levels differ.

1587666976608.gif

Reactions: TDS

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I prefer ‘toe out’ when learning how to get forward.
giphy.gif

Aug 20, 2017
View attachment 17264

‘When I land , I want to feel like I’m riding a horse’ - Mike Trout
Not a lot of “back” in his move. I think the gather stuff or negative move stuff get over baked and cause problems. Trouts load is his knee lift. Rear foot straight, knee inside foot and its anchored. Knee lift is against it. Not sure if this pattern would work for younger hitters. Don’t have the strength/balance to knee lift without moving the rear knee over the rear foot.

Oct 26, 2019
Not a lot of “back” in his move. I think the gather stuff or negative move stuff get over baked and cause problems. Trouts load is his knee lift. Rear foot straight, knee inside foot and its anchored. Knee lift is against it. Not sure if this pattern would work for younger hitters. Don’t have the strength/balance to knee lift without moving the rear knee over the rear foot.

I think it totally works for younger hitters to stay inside the back knee in the load, but you don’t have to lift the leg as high. The leg lift can be short and still accomplish the same thing. As size and strength increase then the leg lift/load can increase as well. Most pro players with big leg lifts probably didn’t start that way when they were younger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach