Gerri Ann Glasco

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I've learned many things hanging out in the pitching forums. One of those things is to not judge an instructor by their students. The pitching community is full of PI's teach "hello elbow" when their best student clearly use IR mechanics. The same is true for hitting instruction. The best instructors get the best students... It's often hard to tell which came first. Many instructors are riding the coat tales of great players.

While I am a fan of posting video (I do often), I would say that just posting video alone will not be enough to satisfy all parties. Even if some here posted video of a student killing it, I would still question whether is was a result of the prescribed instruction.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I've learned many things hanging out in the pitching forums. One of those things is to not judge an instructor by their students. The pitching community is full of PI's teach "hello elbow" when their best student clearly use IR mechanics. The same is true for hitting instruction. The best instructors get the best students... It's often hard to tell which came first. Many instructors are riding the coat tales of great players.

While I am a fan of posting video (I do often), I would say that just posting video alone will not be enough to satisfy all parties. Even if some here posted video of a student killing it, I would still question whether is was a result of the prescribed instruction.

Funny you should say that. We have a senior who has been signed to a D1 school since last year, who goes to an H.E. coach, but throws IR. I can't figure it out, because she has gone to him since 10U.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Some of us used to share all the time.

@ 9yo - still hadn't piled all the garbage on him. Real bat with wiffles in the backyard.

We still hit - daily!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

@ 9yo - still hadn't piled all the garbage on him. Real bat with wiffles in the backyard.

We still hit - daily!

And don't change that. I have a hole in my life now that I don't get to go hit with mine. Enjoy every minute. I always said that I would someday post a video of BB when she was so sick that she was puking and had to lay down while I picked up the balls. Still, she had to hit every day. Man do I miss those times in that cage.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

We still hit - daily!

Cool for you. Mine dd lifts 5 days a week. Practice with one tb team 2x a week. Practice with our tb team 2x a week. Church 2x a week. Orcestra 2x a week. Plus butt loads of home work. I got her to hit in the basement twice last week, looking like once this week.

I sit around like a puppy waiting to be played with.

May 3, 2014
I agree, no push. Here ya go. Do I see foot drag from the babe?

glassco2_zpsb1fnnio8.gif

babe-ruth-o.gif

I really like Glasco - being a lefty and all. Would love to see a little more resistance with the front leg like the Bambino but I guess :p it's OK...j/k of course.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Didn't read all the posts but, did get the memo of 'no more comments'. I previously was trying to easy out of posting so much 'advise'. I will give 'cold turkey' a shot. Down to the practical thread and tee and bat talk.:eek:
Added:
jV_Dg5.gif

Posted in Oct. 2014

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Didn't read all the posts but, did get the memo of 'no more comments'. I previously was trying to easy out of posting so much 'advise'. I will give 'cold turkey' a shot. Down to the practical thread and tee and bat talk.:eek:

I understand you comment, but I for one, hope that you'd reconsider. You are one of the posters that I stop and read when scrolling. Thanks for your past input.

Feb 7, 2013
I'm with you on this....Its not just this board... its how I do it in the real world. I always judge DD's coach by his DD.

Luckily DD's hitting coach has one daughter playing D1, batting .407 and slugging .700 (and Top 50 watch list) and another freshman starter for a very good HS team. :) Let's see if any of this wisdom trickles down to my DD?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Funny you should say that. We have a senior who has been signed to a D1 school since last year, who goes to an H.E. coach, but throws IR. I can't figure it out, because she has gone to him since 10U.

Coach,
DD1 has been catching the past few weeks for a friend who got cut from TB (injury related) and is working her way back for tryouts this summer...

These are "clinic" type sessions where there are between 3 and 6 girls in the gym.

The PC is a retired D1 PC...highly respected around here...

She demonstrates HE and shows ball on the outside of the circle, fully extended arm through the whole circle...I hear "big arc" for 60 minutes straight...

YET...to your point...

2 of the regulars throw I/R...of these 2, one has pretty good drive mechanics, the other one is so-so...

Of the other 4 that have come...drive mechanics are bad (twist and plop) and they are all "HE" mechanics...

She never corrects or differentiates between any of them...yet they all pay her $40/hour for it

Go figure...CP

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz