Gerri Ann Glasco

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mann -

I didn't say the skill of hitting couldn't be improved, or that good mechanics don't affect success at the plate. However, a pretty swing without the coordination to deliver the the bat to the ball at the right time in the right location isn't going to be as successful as a player who can get the bat solidly on the ball with a less than perfect swing.

Cannonball's DD has what some people consider to be a "flawed" swing. As I understand it, there are some who claimed that she would never be successful at the college level. She has proven that her "flawed" swing works just fine as she moves closer and closer to the top of the list of all-time HR hitters in D2. Her ability to deliver the barrel to the ball with speed is the difference-maker.

Also, the athletic skill of hitting is not always connected to all-around athleticism. CB has said himself that his DD is not very athletic, but yet she crushes. Some kids that are very athletic do hit well. Some don't. I see it regularly at the 10U level. One girl, in particular, is a spectacular natural athlete. She moves with a speed and smoothness that reminds me of a predatory cat. Despite having decent swing mechanics, she struggles to make contact consistently, and as a result, strikes out a LOT. On the flip side, a girl currently on my DD's team has among the worst swing mechanics I've seen, and has trouble throwing and catching, but she's strong as a bull. Her strength and ability to get the bat on the ball - even on pitches nowhere near the zone - results in a lot of balls driven hard to the OF.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
g_zpsychaihug.gif

g1_zpsj7s5nn7e.gif

g2_zpszxfhifs3.gif

g3_zpsd6jytasp.gif

-Stride foot in the air early in the pitcher's delivery, before K position is passed through.
-weight shift towards the ball begins/overlaps the leg lift.
-Slow and early, puts Her in position to deliver the barrel when and where She wants. She doesn't feel rushed.
be early, allow your hitters to succeed.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I agree. The single most important factor in hitting is the athletic skill of being able to get the bat on the ball.

There are a lot of players that strike out rarely, but are average hitters at best so IMO its not just about getting the bat on the ball; the real challenge/accomplishment is being able to consistently make solid contact/hit the ball hard.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There are a lot of players that strike out rarely, but are average hitters at best so IMO its not just about getting the bat on the ball; the real challenge/accomplishment is being able to consistently make solid contact/hit the ball hard.

Early in the count, with less than two strikes, be a predator hunting for a good pitch to hit. It need not be a juicy mistake pitch over the heart of the plate ..... but simply a pitch that doesn't short-circuit the 'Along'. Be short-to ('Around') and long-through ('Along').

Feb 7, 2013
Mann - I didn't say the skill of hitting couldn't be improved, or that good mechanics don't affect success at the plate. However, a pretty swing without the coordination to deliver the the bat to the ball at the right time in the right location isn't going to be as successful as a player who can get the bat solidly on the ball with a less than perfect swing.

Especially true at the younger ages. My DS plays baseball (PONY Mustangs 8-9 YO division, all kid pitch) and one of his teammates has never played before this season. He goes up to bat flat-footed, all upper body swings as hard as he can at anything close. While he leads our team in strikeouts and fewest walks, he also has the highest slugging % at .535 (he has a triple off the top of the fence, 2 doubles and 5 singles). My son has played since he was 5YO, takes regular hitting lessons, has a "pretty swing" and leads the team in batting average (all singles) but can't touch this newbie kid with the goofy swing. Go figure??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd