GameChanger stats - used by Coaches or Program Managers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I see a major problem with parents doing GC who can't determine the difference between a wild pitch and a passed ball. Seems like the default is to call it a passed ball, which affects the catcher's stats. But when the ball hits the dirt five feet in front of the plate or it goes 5 feet above the catcher's head, that is a wild pitch. It irritates the crap out of me to see the team statistics and there are like 5 wild pitches between all the pitchers but like 30 passed balls scored on the catchers. Major pet peeve (of course, I'm a catcher mom).

Jun 20, 2015
I understand that frustration. biggest thing first is if anyone advanced due to Wp / PB, if noone did, then it's a ball and move on.

But it's still allot like error versus hit, judgement of the score keeper. and it can be very slanted.

Mar 28, 2014
However I had the person usually most eager to do GC is one that doesn't know crap. And She was peeved when I took GC away from her. Everything was a hit. Nothing was an error etc...
hahahaha, yep, they think a "hit" is if the batter "hits" the ball. Oh and a "home run" is if the batter hits the ball and runs all the way to home plate, regardless of the fact that ball was thrown into right field first and then again into left field.

Sep 19, 2018
The AC on my DD 12U team is a high school varsity HC. We recently had a long talk about GC, parents following games and allowing / sharing stats.

Long story short, with parent 'comments" and everything that has been discussed here using GC is more trouble than it is worth to her.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've seen a few errors charge to my kid that made me laugh, and things that should have been errors not charged. Even decent scorekeepers get it wrong, but it tends to even out over time. My pet peeve is being too quick to take away a hit from the batter and score it as an ROE.

If GC is done by someone half-way competent, I'm a big fan of allowing parents to see the team's stats. It adds to the transparency of coaching decisions, or highlights the idiocy. You can suppress individual scoring gripes by simply ignoring them. Over time, a pretty clear picture emerges regarding who is doing well and who isn't. When someone isn't in the lineup late in a tournament, it's obvious to everyone why.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When I did it for the HS team and there was a question on the play, I made sure to ask another parent that was close to confirm what I saw. Even standing behind the fence, I don't always have the best view, but I sure can call ball and strikes! ;)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As players got older HC had a player in dugout keep the book. Kept them busy, I am not sure anyone ever looked at it.

Some reason players disliked 1 player, she led the Team in errors. :)

Oct 4, 2018
The AC on my DD 12U team is a high school varsity HC. We recently had a long talk about GC, parents following games and allowing / sharing stats.

Long story short, with parent 'comments" and everything that has been discussed here using GC is more trouble than it is worth to her.

I always set the stats to private. Which kind of cracks me up, since you could easily calculate them yourself with the box scores.

Oct 4, 2018
When I did it for the HS team and there was a question on the play, I made sure to ask another parent that was close to confirm what I saw. Even standing behind the fence, I don't always have the best view, but I sure can call ball and strikes! ;)

It does help to quiet parents down when you holler out "Error on 3B, right?" and the parents of the 3B hear seven people say "yep".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott