Game strategy for pitch selection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Speaking in general terms, and with a pitcher who is pretty reliable with 3 or maybe even 4 pitches, do you prefer to:

a) throw one pitch predominantly, and sprinkle in other pitches here and there to keep hitters off-balance, or
b) use all pitches frequently, maybe giving a slight edge to the pitcher's best quality pitch, or
c) "A" or "B", but keeping one pitch unused in reserve till the batting order has seen the pitcher a couple of times so you have something new to show, or
d) something else

It is assumed that specific knowledge of individual hitters will have an effect, but in general terms....

If you are have examples or strategies for a pitcher who has 8 pitches, or even one pitch that can change directions or speeds multiple times before reaching the plate, please do not respond.

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
DD #2 is 2nd year 12U. She has good command and speed, a change up that is her go to pitch and is very effective, a good drop and working on the rise.

The approach the coach calling the pitches takes varies by team of course but this seems to be the basic approach:

Weaker teams: The teams that have a hard time catching up to low 50's she can over power and there is no need for the change up. For these teams she will work to get ahead of the count hitting the corners and using the drop about 20% of the time with a rise ball about 15% as a setup pitch. The rise ball is a few mph slower and if it doesn't break ends up as just a high pitch on the corner most of the time as a ball, but she is starting to get some K's with it.

Stronger teams: The change up is used about 20% of the time, and they will throw it anywhere in the count. I would say she would use all pitches more frequently against the stronger teams at least in the top of the order and the coaches seem more willing to give up a walk in the top of the order so it wouldn't be uncommon to see a rise on full count even though it is only about 30% effective.

The coach calling pitches last year was a retired MLB pitcher and he would wouldn't throw the change up the first time thru the order and when it came out the 2nd or 3rd time thru the results where great. I struggled with this approach at times but the two of them had a very good relationship and a lot of success so I kept my mouth shut.

Hope that is helpful.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Most pitching strategy discussions assume brain dead batters and perfect umpires. But, that simply isn't the case. The umpire is not going to call the corners consistently. At the higher levels of play, the batters adapt to the pitcher. If a pitcher is facing a real team where the players communicate about hitting, the batters adapt very quickly.

Pitching over a game is about changing pitch selection as the batters learn and adapt.

The basic approach is:

Early in the game, throw strikes and learn the umpire's strike zone. A pitcher has to prove to the batters and the umpire that she can throw a strike whenever she wants. So, lots of fastballs and change ups early in the count, and breaking pitches later in the count. (Sounds dangerous, but the number of batters who consistently take the first pitch is mind boggling.) The pitcher is telling the other team, "You have to swing the bat. No one is walking today."

After you have proven you can throw strikes, show them the breaking pitches. Throw breaking pitches that are at the edges of the strike zone and in a variety of locations. Find out the pitches that are "working" and those that are not working. "Working" means a pitch that moves and can be consistently thrown to the edge of the zone.

Third-Fifth innings: These innings are basically keeping the hitters off balance by mixing pitches. The pitcher has to continue to throw pitches that aren't working, because, believe it or not, they might start working.

6th and 7th: These are the toughest innings of the whole game (which is why HS ball can be more challenging than TB). The batters have seen everything the pitcher has. The good hitters are no longer confused. The good hitters have a plan. The pitcher now has to consistently and successfully pitch at the corners of the zone to finish the game.

c) "A" or "B", but keeping one pitch unused in reserve till the batting order has seen the pitcher a couple of times so you have something new to show, or

Never works.

Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
I've never coached a girl that is pretty reliable with 3 or even 4 pitches. I've coached 14s and 16s ASA and PGF. My pitchers throw 2 pitches well and are working on a 3rd. If that's the case, we mix the two pitches and sprinkle in the 3rd, depending on what's working that day. We've had some success with wasting pitches' to set up batters. For example 'wasting a pitch' with a fastball over the plate, high at her eyes, then coming back with the offspeed.

Jun 21, 2012
Rule 1: Always call pitches that are your pitcher's strengths. Many coaches try to determine a batters weakness and pitch around the batter's weakness. These leads to excessive pitches and often unnecessary walks.
Rule 2: Never call waste pitches. There should never be a waste pitch. Why allow a batter to catch-up in the count? Why throw a bad pitch in hopes the batter will swing at it?
Rule 3: Call pitches to get a desired result. Tight spins will cause grounders or pop-ups. These are easily defendable. Work location to cause the hitter to hit the ball off the last few inches or the first few inches of the barrel.
Rule 4: If the batter is late, DO NOT SLOW DOWN THE BALL. Why throw a breaking ball or change up on a batter who has fouled off the last ball, even if the batter has two strikes? Come inside or outside with a fast ball. I am more inclined to come inside as the percentage of success on the batter is greatly reduced.
Rule 5: Know what pitches are working for your pitcher. This changes daily and by game. Your pitch caller should be observing warm-ups to know.

Rule 6: Read this article - How to Avoid the 4 Biggest Pitch Calling Mistakes – Softball Excellence - Softball Training Anywhere

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"Rule 1: Always call pitches that are your pitcher's strengths."

I know some coaches who will NEVER understand this! Why? Their egos are too big for their pants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck