funny mistakes you have made while working with your DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
As a Parent trying to coach your daughter during the pandemic what are the goofy mistakes you have made?

For me I purchased the 3 finger All Star glove for my DD in March. Took her out everyday to throw and break in the glove. Boy that glove would not break in. She couldn't squeeze it at all. All summer throwing every day and the ball kept popping out.

So in Late July when Softball resumed and she was still having the same problem with the glove. Now i am ready to purchase a new glove. Then a parent said why is she wearing the glove wrong. I walked over to my DD and noticed her hand was not completely in the glove.....she didn't know how to put the glove on.

So all that throwing and her glove was on the wrong way. I showed her two fingers in the pinkie finger hole......and the glove was instantly broken in......

I can't believe I never taught of something as simple as.....does she have the glove on right.......stupid is what stupid does......

Apr 28, 2014
I'll share probably the most embarrassing thing that happened to me. DD was young and her team just started using game changer. I had no idea how it worked but signed up and received an email with a recap for the game that had just ended. DD pitched well but the team gave up 3 unearned runs. I read the recap and it listed DD as the losing pitcher giving up 3 runs (didn't say unearned in the recap).
I was fuming and thought the recap was really slanted...
The next game she pitched we won 5-0 and as soon as the game ended I went over to the game changer parent and said "When are you gonna type the recap". He was like what? I said you heard me.
Then he explained to me that the recaps are auto generated. I felt like the rear I was being that day. HAHA very embarrassing.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
As a Parent trying to coach your daughter during the pandemic what are the goofy mistakes you have made?

For me I purchased the 3 finger All Star glove for my DD in March. Took her out everyday to throw and break in the glove. Boy that glove would not break in. She couldn't squeeze it at all. All summer throwing every day and the ball kept popping out.

So in Late July when Softball resumed and she was still having the same problem with the glove. Now i am ready to purchase a new glove. Then a parent said why is she wearing the glove wrong. I walked over to my DD and noticed her hand was not completely in the glove.....she didn't know how to put the glove on.

So all that throwing and her glove was on the wrong way. I showed her two fingers in the pinkie finger hole......and the glove was instantly broken in......

I can't believe I never taught of something as simple as.....does she have the glove on right.......stupid is what stupid does......
I'm sure that made a huge difference on that particular glove!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This has nothing to do with the pandemic, was coaching a HS home game one night and my girls were doing everything exactly opposite of of the calls / signals I was giving them. When they came in the dugout after hitting in the bottom of the first I really chewed two girls out!

Same thing after the bottom of the second, this time I went OFF on all of them, turns out the other coach had new wrist cards made and he gave one to everyone but me! :rolleyes: Yeah Anna and a couple other smart *** girls had fun with that one!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When DD was a young developing pitcher (probably 10 years old), we were throwing in the front yard. Our tee at that time was one with a detachable home plate. I couldn't get the thing to detach so I thought "She's 10, what's the odds that she actually hits the tee". Well, 3rd pitch and the ball hits the very top of the tee, ricochets off the top of my glove and hits me directly above my right eye. Knocked the lense out of my glasses and cut me open. I was gushing like a crime scene. Meg runs away crying and I'm stuck in the front yard laughing at myself.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When DD was a young developing pitcher (probably 10 years old), we were throwing in the front yard. Our tee at that time was one with a detachable home plate. I couldn't get the thing to detach so I thought "She's 10, what's the odds that she actually hits the tee". Well, 3rd pitch and the ball hits the very top of the tee, ricochets off the top of my glove and hits me directly above my right eye. Knocked the lense out of my glasses and cut me open. I was gushing like a crime scene. Meg runs away crying and I'm stuck in the front yard laughing at myself.
Yikes too many times hear this story folks catching their dd...ball deflected and...
Thats not what eye on the ball means! ;)
Hope it healed quick!

Jul 2, 2013

I was catching my DD one day when my brother stopped by to see what we were doing. He decided he was going to stand in the batter's box to see what it looked like when she was pitching. He grabbed a bat and stepped in. I told him not to swing because if he fouled one off it would hit me in the face. After a few pitches, he decided he was going to try and "bunt" one. DD pitched and he stuck the bat out. The pitch was up in the zone so I raised my glove up to catch it. He also raised the bat up. The ball skimmed off the bottom of the bat at just the right angle to hit me...in the pills. I fell off of the bucket and crawled off to the side. It took me 10 minutes to get over the nausea and pain. They both thought it was funny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01