Frustration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Because I know nothing about the mechanics of pitching (not gonna open Bill's DVD 'til Christmas), whenever I catch for my daughter, there's very little I can say. Occasionally she'll ask me how far she missed the imaginary strike zone by, but she's already learning that every umpire's zone is different and will require in-game adjustments. Instead, I'm teaching her to focus on the mental aspects of competing and being able to do the job right, over and over. I am also teaching her to have a short memory. Whether it was a good pitch or bad pitch, good at-bat or poor one, she has to forget about it immediately and move on to the next one. When she's focused on the task at hand, she tends to perform very well. But when she allows a distraction in (which could be as benign as an encouraging comment from the coach), things can go awry. One good thing about paying attention to this part of athlete development is that it produces instant feedback for a young athlete.

I'm willing to bet that, so long as she keeps doing what she's doing, she'll be a smashing success within another year or two. But in the meantime, what you really have to do is to keep a lid on your wife's commentary. Have her read this thread if necessary, but what she's doing by making negative comments about her own daughter's performance could have long-lasting implications that neither is prepared for and which your daughter does not deserve. Make sure your daughter knows she has your full support and that you believe in her ability to do whatever it is she wants to do, and get her mother onboard with this. It's true at any age that a daughter needs this, but it's critical for girls in middle school as the things going on in her life right now will go a long way towards determining the type of woman she will become.

Oct 19, 2009
I heard Lisa Fernandez speak one time and she advised that in a game as a kid she walked 20 something players, she advised that her mother told her the next game you will walk less than 20, then the next game you will walk less and less until, you don’t walk any. She advised that she held to the advice from her mother and of course we know how that turned out!!!!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Two things to try.

1. Have her pitch to you with a wiffle ball, softball sized with all the holes in it. Hold the wiffle ball with the fingertips only, do no let it touch the palm. She will hate it at first. The first three or four will go sky high. Then she will bring it down and find her target.

After 10 or 12 strikes with the wiffle ball, take it away and give her back the real softball. Again, have her pitch with the fingertips only touching the ball. The first 2 or 3 will hit the dirt in front of her. Too often they are taught to rely on the weight of the ball to do most of their thinking for them. Take that weight away and they have to rely on their fingertips for control and accuracy. A few sessions like that and watch how accurate she can get.

Another way to find concentration / accuracy is to make them earn their way to the rubber.

Start her at around 12 feet throwing slowly. When she can throw 7 pitches into the glove, move her back a step. Repeat that process, if she can throw 7 out 0f 10 for strikes, move her back a step closer to the rubber. If she DOES not throw 7 for 10 strikes, move her UP a step closer. You may have to go back and forth like this 15 times before she finally gets all the way back to the rubber. If ya do, guess what??? You just had a 150 pitch workout and you havent even started to work on anything except working her way back to the rubber. She will get very determined at some point. She will think it is stupid, until the first time she has to move UP a step. Concentration and consistency can happen real quick when you think you are starting to look like an 8 year old beginner throwing from 20 feet. :)

Got to love us sneaky ole pitchin coaches!

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
FP17: You're so locked into a classic conundrum. I have frequently explained to a team head coach that if my help is wanted, that I will likely be his worst enemy. Why? Because I teach fundamentals, and not "just throw strikes", which is the primary expectation of a coach of any team from JV HS on down. But I will make that pitcher be a force somewhere down the road. Just how far that road is depends on how hard and determined she is, plus her natural athleticism.
If you follow the many core fundamentals (much of which has been thoroughly explained on this forum), the result will be better control and higher speed -- remember, control and speed are not the objective, but are the result of achieving the objective of a delivery built on efficient technique and fundamentals.
Example, use the "power line" principle in all your work. If you break down the windmill to drills of half-circles or just the IR whip action, make sure all the movement and energy is focused straight down the line. She will find out eliminating deviation of the arm circle off line will reduce side-to-side wildness. Same result when the leg drive, step, and follow-thru is aligned down the line. Pay less attention to high and low location -- that is more associated with muscle memory of the release point, and control of that comes with repetition.
The typical result is a pitcher who is striking out a handfull, hitting several, walking a bunch, and causing great consternation with the parents and coaches. But as happened when my daughter was a HS freshman, the moons will align and she'll find the strike zone with great stuff. The sky's the limit.
JimP

Nov 29, 2009
I knew my DD was serious when I told her we need to pitch before I go to work and her to school, and she agreed. We would be out there 3-4 mornings a week at 6:00am throwing. There were days I thought "this kid is crazy". She stuck with it and it paid off so far. good luck with your DD

Your daughter sounds like a player ANY coach would love to work with.

One of the things I do when I start working with a younger pitcher for the first time is bring out my catchers mitt. The pocket of the glove is literally worn away to the point where the padding has fallen out of it. I've repaired the laces a few times. It's very, very loose and worn. I show it to them and tell them it was new when my daughter started to pitch. Then I ask them how much work do you think it takes to do that to a catchers mitt? When I tell them my daughter has thrown somewhere in the area of about a million pitches over the years it grabs their attention as well.

Here is what I've found when working with kids who want to pitch. If I start with 10 girls who are close in age the breakdown of those who really turn into pitchers goes something like this.

2 - 3 Quit almost immediately because it's too much work for the kid or the parents.
4 - 6 Will give it up after a year or maybe longer for various reasons. Usually the kids lose the desire.
1 - 2 Will keep at it and be pretty good pitchers.
1 - 2 Will keep at it and become very good pitchers.
1 in 20 of the final two groups will have all the gifts to become a phenomenal pitcher.

I had a 1 in 20 with my daughter. She did real well in college and paid for her education playing ball. I have a 1 in 20 11U girl I'm working with now who has all of the physical gifts, mental toughness, dedication and great parental support to be very successful. I will tell you this, it's fun working with a girl who is fully there mentally 99.9% of the time at 11 years of age.

May 10, 2010
I to have been in the same shoes with dd pitching. The way I cured my dd control problem was to have her pitch from home plate and I would catch her from the pitchers mound. I would just sit there while she chased her wild pitches.

Feb 7, 2010
Pay less attention to high and low location -- that is more associated with muscle memory of the release point, and control of that comes with repetition.

Redhawk, this is what she seems to have the most trouble with, fighting the high ball. She can be a trench digger with the back foot which leads me to beleive she is keeping her weight back too much. Does this sound right?

No player wants to throw balls; it's not for lack of trying.

Hit it on the head there, Screwball. I know that my daughter seems to do better when she is not "trying" at all. She is more relaxed and the ball seems to come out of her hand better.

Because I know nothing about the mechanics of pitching (not gonna open Bill's DVD 'til Christmas), whenever I catch for my daughter, there's very little I can say. Occasionally she'll ask me how far she missed the imaginary strike zone by, but she's already learning that every umpire's zone is different and will require in-game adjustments. Instead, I'm teaching her to focus on the mental aspects of competing and being able to do the job right, over and over. I am also teaching her to have a short memory. Whether it was a good pitch or bad pitch, good at-bat or poor one, she has to forget about it immediately and move on to the next one. When she's focused on the task at hand, she tends to perform very well. But when she allows a distraction in (which could be as benign as an encouraging comment from the coach), things can go awry. One good thing about paying attention to this part of athlete development is that it produces instant feedback for a young athlete.

I'm willing to bet that, so long as she keeps doing what she's doing, she'll be a smashing success within another year or two. But in the meantime, what you really have to do is to keep a lid on your wife's commentary. Have her read this thread if necessary, but what she's doing by making negative comments about her own daughter's performance could have long-lasting implications that neither is prepared for and which your daughter does not deserve. Make sure your daughter knows she has your full support and that you believe in her ability to do whatever it is she wants to do, and get her mother onboard with this. It's true at any age that a daughter needs this, but it's critical for girls in middle school as the things going on in her life right now will go a long way towards determining the type of woman she will become.

Great post, SSD. I think that I will have my daughter read it. She definitely needs to know that we are behind her regardless of her performance. This is a game and the weight of the world does not rest on her ability to throw strikes. Thanks for the kind words.

May 7, 2008
high and low on pitches is usually a matter of release point. release sooner to bring it down later to bring it up. the actual distance in inches is less than an inch. I tell the beginners when they throw it straight but high or low that they are one step from perfect. All they have to do is release earlier or later. It really seems to help them to know what looks like a disaster to them is only one step from perfect!

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
FP17:
Regards the persistent high location, here's one thing to check: her grip on the ball.
If she has an overall tight grip, it will delay the release.
If she has the ball too deep into her palm instead of on the fingers, it will delay the release.
If she has her thumb locked down hard on the top of the ball, it will delay the release.

Also check if she has her wrist curled or at a wrong angle.
And make sure her movement is relaxed - let it flow. In a few strings in this forum, there has been good information on the orientation of the pitching hand as it progresses around the circle -- check it out and see if your dd is complying. The recommended orientation is based on the natural flow and movement of the joints and muscles in the arm and shoulder. If she isn't in sync with the model, it's probably because she's forcing it, which means she's too tense, and again, a delayed release is symptomatic.
JimP

Feb 7, 2010
And make sure her movement is relaxed - let it flow.

This is also something that we have been trying to work on. A lot of times when she is struggling with the high ball her arm will have a tendency to stop abruptly after release. I think this is a band aid that she has figured out to keep the ball down. When she is relaxed the ball comes out better and her arm is loose after release. I know that the mental side of pitching is the hardest part to master but any tips on how to keep from trying to guide the ball?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors