Frustrated – 10YOA DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Between basketball and softball DD’s Teams are not going to win a game this calendar year. If we go back to the fall it is almost a year since she won a game in a sport.

Mar 29, 2012
Is this all rec or travel? If travel maybe she should look for a new team. If rec is there another league se could join, or is she good enough to move to travel.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Between basketball and softball DD’s Teams are not going to win a game this calendar year. If we go back to the fall it is almost a year since she won a game in a sport.

Quincy, I can't help you with basketball. But man I'd sure be looking at other team options. I know you said at one time the wife didn't want to go forward with TB, but if DD is serious, it's just about the only option.

Dude if we lose "a" game I'm a basket case.
1. It's a long quite ride home, as I'm fighting back the tears.
2. My paramedic friend comes over and administers oxygen and sets up a anxiety drip.
3. I'll stay up all night replaying the whole game and what we could have done different.
4. I'll receive Get Well Soon cards for a week.
5. My wife has me on suicide watch for 48 hours.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

She's 10 years old

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Quincy, I can't help you with basketball. But man I'd sure be looking at other team options. I know you said at one time the wife didn't want to go forward with TB, but if DD is serious, it's just about the only option.

Dude if we lose "a" game I'm a basket case.
1. It's a long quite ride home, as I'm fighting back the tears.
2. My paramedic friend comes over and administers oxygen and sets up a anxiety drip.
3. I'll stay up all night replaying the whole game and what we could have done different.
4. I'll receive Get Well Soon cards for a week.
5. My wife has me on suicide watch for 48 hours.

I think DD is getting use to losing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think DD is getting use to losing.

Quincy, we have all read your struggles on here and I really feel you love the game and take a great interest in your kid. They say losing a game here and there builds character. ( they say that, not me :) ) But losing every game is not a good mental state to be in, not in sports.

I guess the biggest thing, is your DD ok with it? Does it bother her, or does she just enjoy "playing"? If its dragging her down you need to look at other team options, if it upsets her the desire to play will get less and less as time rolls on.

My friend MTR says she's 10. True. But if she is not happy " losing " all the time at 10, she might not be playing at 12 or 14.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
From personal experience, this is primarily a problem felt by the coaches, maybe by a few parents, and probably not at all by the players. Most 10 year olds have forgotten the score by the time they get the after-game snack.

Unless a player feels that it is her personal fault that you always lose, I don't think losing would make them quit. If you are the coach, make sure that you keep things fun, and don't let the need to win make you deviate from what you think is right. For coach or parent, emphasize the small successes, such as getting a hit or striking someone out.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Different issue all together but she is starting to blame other players a little bit. I am hoping when she tryouts for MS her ego will be put back in check, mean side of me hopes she doesn’t make the Team this year.

May 25, 2010
Different issue all together but she is starting to blame other players a little bit. I am hoping when she tryouts for MS her ego will be put back in check, mean side of me hopes she doesn’t make the Team this year.
Remind her that, win or lose, her job is to go out and do whatever she can to help contribute to her team's success. Don't allow her to go down the path of assigning blame, not at this age. It may be natural to point fingers, but don't let her get away with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole