Free Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
I was watching, I don't know if it was 12u or 14u boys warming up before the game. I said to myself, it seems like boys just flat out move different, when fielding, throwing, hitting you name it. It made me wonder, are boys simply less over coached mechanically than girls?

My personal experience is that boys are "messed with" a LOT less than girls. This allows more individual athleticism to creep into their mechanics, so they seem to flow more naturally.

In short, yeah, I agree boys are far less over coached than girls.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What is always missing from the conversation when speaking of the ‘move out’ is how deliberate it needs to be, especially when learning. when using deliberate actions, The brain can feel what the body is doing quicker. It’s not so much an ‘early‘ description I use. I want them to find their personal timing mechanism to be comfortable. a deliberate cue usually slows it down to where they can control what their move is.

Jun 8, 2016
You pitch well for a virus. Most I've been around would never get it over the plate.
Thank you..I think. I used to pitch 150 years ago until my HS coach told me to stop throwing CU and I told him that was my fastball at which point he pointed at SS and told me to stay there..

Jun 8, 2016
What is always missing from the conversation when speaking of the ‘move out’ is how deliberate it needs to be, especially when learning. when using deliberate actions, The brain can feel what the body is doing quicker. It’s not so much an ‘early‘ description I use. I want them to find their personal timing mechanism to be comfortable. a deliberate cue usually slows it down to where they can control what their move is.
I agree..you don't want to feel panicked, needs to be comfortable (whatever that means to the hitter) if that makes sense.

Oct 2, 2017

I like the deliberate way of presenting it. I also agree it has to be based on their own personal timing. That's why I used early enough for your own swing pattern. Because the Job is not to make each hitter the same, but to use what they already naturally due. Of course that changes over time, as one gets more efficient in their swing.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, yes again! Panicking is why they break down, their sequence.
I think (and am trying this out currently) that slowing down front toss when you are first trying to get a hitter to do this, might be a good idea. If you watch Latta flip during any of his balance/move out stuff, it is all slow flips, which seems to make some sense.

May 12, 2016
Yeah..garden snakes is more appropriate. Seriously though, I was just trying to show what a natural 1st move to balance looks like..it isn't perfect obviously but like I said I haven't told him anything other than try and get into a good stance.
Like I mentioned before, I did more damage to my DD's swing than good. She was doing great on her own

Oct 2, 2017
I think (and am trying this out currently) that slowing down front toss when you are first trying to get a hitter to do this, might be a good idea. If you watch Latta flip during any of his balance/move out stuff, it is all slow flips, which seems to make some sense.

That chaos drill he does I think, is a good idea, even though I haven't tried it yet.

May 12, 2016
I don't know how many of you have played fastpitch.. or baseball, I played fastball and I absolutely knew when something was wrong with my sequencing. It can be caused by something mechanically messed up in your swing or by a damn good pitcher who got your timing all messed up. But when my sequence was right and on time, it felt like everything slowed down a little and hitting became much much easier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi