"Forever" Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agreed Eric, but for the two months it would take my DD to turn it into a rag, I'd still take it over a Shoeless Jane glove, especially for $70 less!

No argument from me on that point. For $99, I would be all over the Worth. Without hesitation.

Cuervo - Something to be aware of (if you're not already)...justballgoves.com has an AWESOME return policy that allows you to buy multiple gloves, try them (even break them in!), and return the ones you don't like with a full refund. I recently went through this in selecting my DD's latest catcher's mitt, and it completely took the guess-work out of the decision. I ordered 3 mitts that we both thought looked promising, and my DD ended up with the one that was right for her, which turned out to be different than what I had initially anticipated.

Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
I like the Worth cost, just don't know about the glove, but it is probably a great product...

I'll stay away from the SL-Jane, and I'm going to stay away from the Akadema at this point (too many reviews about floppy-ness over time)...

I like the ME024 except for the open pocket, as she is pitching and learning to pitch... I liked what I read about the BV1929, just cost (especially compared to the Worth offer right now)...

Anyone use the Worth Liberty? 12" or 12.5"? Thoughts? Seems like a heck of a deal...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like the Worth cost, just don't know about the glove, but it is probably a great product...

I'll stay away from the SL-Jane, and I'm going to stay away from the Akadema at this point (too many reviews about floppy-ness over time)...

I like the ME024 except for the open pocket, as she is pitching and learning to pitch... I liked what I read about the BV1929, just cost (especially compared to the Worth offer right now)...

Anyone use the Worth Liberty? 12" or 12.5"? Thoughts? The red-flag (or at least dark orange) was the use of proprietary words in front of "leather" instead of Kip or a type of hide... That usually means "fake" and it usually means that it will not last long...

As I mentioned before, the Worth Liberty Advanced is my DD's current fielder's glove (12.5"). It's a very good glove - build quality, materials quality, and durability. It's not kip, but it's damn nice leather. It took some work to break in, but not as much as my kip Akadema. The Worth LA-series is the top of Worth's line-up, and has been used by Worth-sponsored college teams. They are blowing them out in (what I understand to be) a shift in the company that is bringing all of Worth's fastpitch products under the Rawlings umbrella. $99 is a very good deal on these gloves. At that price point, I'm not seeing a better quality glove. About a year into it's life, getting pushed hard in 12U travel ball, my DD's glove is in fine shape, and is showing no signs of needing replacement any time soon.

Also mentioned before, my only caution about the Worth LA-series is that they are not a "lightweight" glove. They aren't tanks (about like a Wilson A2000), but a smaller/weaker player may find a lighter glove more efficient. My 11yo DD (5'-2", 115lbs) handles her Worth just fine.

Feb 7, 2013
Of these 3, the Miz MVP isn't even close to the other two in terms of quality and long-term durability.

Eric, you are the glove expert here but I will say that DD has always used the Mizuno MVP series and it's been a great glove (especially for the price $80?). IMO, I think glove performance is not as important as just finding one that fits you well (proper size and break-in) and you have confidence in using. Take care of it (place it down open on the fingers, wipe and condition regularly, store in a good location when not in use, etc.) and it will last at least several seasons. If I had to chose, I would invest in a high-end softball bat before a high-end glove, but that's just me...

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Anyone use the Worth Liberty? 12" or 12.5"? Thoughts? Seems like a heck of a deal...

Never used a Worth Liberty fielders glove but one of the catchers on my DD's TB team uses that mitt and it's a very high quality "real" leather mitt! As Eric said, many college programs have been sponsored by Worth and use that very model glove. As for the open pocket (web?) on the ME024, you're just overthinking it, especially at 12U.

If your cap is somewhere around $150 don't discount that 12" All-Star Vela but as Eric said the $99 Worth Liberty is definitely the best deal. Still, I'd try to contact a Vinci rep here, ask some questions and get some prices first!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, you are the glove expert here but I will say that DD has always used the Mizuno MVP series and it's been a great glove (especially for the price $80?). IMO, I think glove performance is not as important as just finding one that fits you well (proper size and break-in) and you have confidence in using. Take care of it (place it down open on the fingers, wipe and condition regularly, store in a good location when not in use, etc.) and it will last at least several seasons. If I had to chose, I would invest in a high-end softball bat before a high-end glove, but that's just me...

I wouldn't agree with "expert", but being an admitted gear geek, I have spent some time looking at a fairly wide variety of products as they have applied to my DD's journey in the game, and I enjoy sharing what I have learned along the way. I certainly agree that proper care and feeding is important for getting the maximum life-span from a glove (this is one area where my DD has improved). If your DD is happy with her glove, that's really what matters most. :)

As I mentioned today in another thread, my DD is currently using a Miz MVP-series catcher's mitt. She picked the Miz over Worth LA and two different All-Stars, despite the Miz being clearly at the bottom of the pile in terms of build and materials quality. She simply catches the ball more consistently with the Miz, which is the most important factor of all for a catcher. However, we know that the mitt isn't a long-term solution for her, and will need to be replaced in (probably) about a year.

Additional observations about the Miz MVP series...The natural/brown models appear to use a slightly thicker leather than the colored "SE" versions, which lends itself to a little more structure and (expected) durability. My DD had a white MVP-SE in 10U rec ball. It lasted about a year. Another thing we have noticed in both her previous MVP fielder's glove and her current MVP catcher's mitt is that the finger stalls are unlined (typical of low to mid-range gloves) which leads to "pilling" of the suede-side leather on the back of the fingers. It can feel a little funky after a while.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think the Miz MVP-series is a good mid-level choice that will serve most players just fine. It's not a "forever" glove, but that's reflected in the price tag.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
I got my DD a LHT Worth Liberty Advanced 12" for $65 last fall from a heads up from Eric. She just started using it a month ago and loves it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
Over thinking it, I know (as pointed out earlier), but I appreciate all the feedback. I have a 16 year old also that only partially went down the softball path, but the middle DD (subject of this search) seems to be pretty serious about it. I want to be sure she has the opportunity and the right equipment for her. It doesn't have to be the highest price, but the best "value" and solid performer. I agree with earlier statements that the carpenter is the real talent, but I also agree that the the carpenter has to have the right tools too...

I shared some of the pictures and reviews with her, and she really likes the Worth LA (blk/blk), so we may give it a go from justballgloves.com.

Still have to run it by the "boss" and see what Mom wants to do.... (sad really, but....)

Thanks again!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Of these 3, the Miz MVP isn't even close to the other two in terms of quality and long-term durability.

My dd has the Mizuno only with the full web pocket. 5 years of travel combine with 4 years of HS, 1 year of university club play. I had it relaced 2 years ago. The glove is still in great shape.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse