"Forever" Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD loves her Wilson 12" A2K and won't touch any other glove. It was a pain breaking in but it really is a great glove. She likes the fit of it better than anything she's ever tried, and she's tried a lot of them.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I bought a Vinci JCV-22 catcher's mitt to catch my DD pitcher from casedawg (RIP!) a little over a year ago.
Love that mitt! and then I, er... *misplaced* it. Grrrrrrrr....

So I ordered another one about a month ago. (unknowingly at the time, right before the casedawg decided to step-back...)

Then, last week, I found my original mitt!

So, I guess with a "user" and a "spare", this is my "lifetime glove". lol!
(or at least should get me through the next 5 yrs while DD is still living at home and playing school/travel ball)

DD has been using a Vinci BV-1929L for the past season and a half and absolutely loves it.
She is a pitcher/3B.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
DD#1 has been using a Vinci JCV-VM for the past 4 years and loves it. No desire to change, she catches for some of the best 18U pitching I've seen and has no hand sting or any other issues. Time will tell if her college coach lets her use it.

Her fielder's glove is a Rawlings Heart of the Hide 12". It's almost 8 years old, just got relaced this year, and she still loves it. I bought her a new Vinci AB74-VM to use about 4 months ago, but she hasn't even tried it yet. Old habits die hard.

DD#2 has the same story, except her catcher's mitt is a JCV-22. Same fielder's glove, but her replacement Vinci RCV-VM is at least getting used in practice. Not game ready yet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
any luck or reviews on the Akadema (AJB74)

The Akadema AJB74 is not a "forever" glove for someone playing at the frequency and intensity level of travel ball. For a rec player, it's probably good for a long time. At the travel ball level, 1-2 years is about the life expectancy. I tend to recommend the AJB74 for 10U and smaller 12U players looking for a good mid-level glove.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
My dd had a glove at 11 that worked great, until it was accidentally lost.

At this age, I might buy a nice $100 or less glove and wait until she is a little older before you plunk down $300. Especially if you think its going to last forever. Otherwise you will be making some sort of compromise on fit. It will either be too big now, or too small later.

And even once she was bigger, at age 14 I bought her "forever glove" it is a mizuno. Can't remember the model but it cost me $100. I had it relaced once. She just played her 5th year with that glove and its in great shape.

We pay $400 a year for a bat that may or may not break in the warrenty period but can't get $200 for a good glove that sees a lot more use than a bat?

Not calling you out per se, but I don't completely follow the logic.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We pay $400 a year for a bat that may or may not break in the warrenty period but can't get $200 for a good glove that sees a lot more use than a bat?

You're paying too much for bats. ;)

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
You're paying too much for bats. ;)

Ha! I knew I was going to get called out for that. :) I have not paid that much but the premise is the same. $200 every year for a bat, better? ;)

Edit to add:
My DD uses a $70 glove and a $80 bat currently. They both do what ever she makes them do.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I can't follow the logic of plunking down $300 for a piece of equipment that doesn't actually improve the players defense. As for $400 bats you are talking to the wrong guy. I never paid more then $70 for a bat. The last 5 years my dd used team bats and did just fine with them. This is a simple game made more complicated then it needs to be. I truly believe that many of us build in a set of excuses for our kid to use. My glove isn't any good that's why I can't field, I need a better glove. I'm not hitting well because I don't have the newest bat... Or even worse the kid who has 3 $300 bats who still blame the bats.

It's a poor carpenter who blames his/her tools

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez