"Forever" Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 11yo DD's current fielder's glove is a Worth Liberty Advanced, which falls into the $100-150 range you're looking at. My DD has been using this glove for about 1 year in 10U & 12U travel ball, and it gets pretty heavy use every week, pretty much all year long. It's holding up very well, and all signs are that it has lots of life left. It's not the lightest choice, but it's well built, with good materials.

For smaller/thinner players, the Akadema AJB74 is certainly a viable option. I suspect the Worth LA has a longer lifespan, but the weight can be an issue for some players. I know there is at least one DFP'er whose DD used an AJB74 for multiple years in TB, and was very happy with it.

The CF on my DD's team uses a Shoeless Jane. She does well with it, but - as has been said already - the "already broken in" feature concerns me for long-term durability.

Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
Thanks.... I also stumbled across the Akadema ATS77 which is a different design, but gets good reviews again... It's a 12.5" though, and I'm wondering if that's getting too big?

I could talk myself in and out of all the choices, I bet.....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The ATS77 is an interesting design. I haven't seen one in person, but the "reptillian" concept could have merit...or not. The lack of ridges and stitching in the palm may not kill the spin of the ball effectively enough, which may cause some issues with fielding. This is just a hunch on my part. I could be totally wrong.

My mid-size DD has been using a 12.5" glove since she was 9yo. Generally speaking, somewhere in the 12"-12.5" range is going to be a pretty good all-purpose size for a young player. Finding the "right" size will vary from player to player, depending on what they can handle efficiently and what fits them well. I tend to prefer a slightly smaller glove for middle infielders, but it's largely a preference issue for the player. Keep in mind, however, that actual size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, the Mizuno MVP series gloves run large. The 12" MVP is the same size as my DD's 12.5" Worth and my 12.75" Akadema.

Aug 30, 2014
I really, really like the Vinci BV1929-L. I though it was the perfect size and just a beautiful glove. I also thought it was light compared to other gloves. Perfect size and fit for an average to smaller sized girl.

I actually ended up getting a custom 12.75" Vinci for my daughter because she wanted something slightly bigger and also wanted a closed web because she pitches. When not pitching she plays SS/2B & CF and has no issues at all. She's not a big girl either and has no problem with the 12.75"...its even lighter than her old Wilson.

As a first year 12 you might want to just get something mid-range until she figures out where she is going to play. Then step up and buy a really nice glove. Also, by the time she's a 2nd year 12 you will have a much better idea where she will be playing and even IF she wants to continue playing at all.

May 13, 2015
OP mentioned she uses a mizuno now. If she has been using the prospect gloves, a 12" GMVP1200 mizuno for $100 would be a good "bridge" or middle ground glove that will feel familiar to her. Take some amount of break in, not as much as the Vinci, and probably last her until your ready to spend the money on a forever glove.

May 28, 2014
My daughter has been using a BV-1929L for almost 2 years now, since she was 10. And has been the smallest girl on the team for the last 2 years - After the break in period we have no issues with it.

The Bv-1929L is a Vinci Kip leather glove. I think that outside of the breaking for the Vincis which is significant they are fine for use for that age group.

Full disclosure, I am a Vinci Glove rep (fell free to message me if you need another one for your Daughter =) ) so I do have a soft spot for those gloves.

Hey Drakemir, the mesh is the reason I chose the ME024, a lightweight but still substantial quality glove. Cuervo's DD is still almost a half a year away from turning 11 so I was still a little worried to recommend this glove. As I said earlier my DD was 12 when she got her Vinci, no way would I have gave her a full Kip leather Vinci at the age of 10. Of course my DD's a small girl, especially small when she was 10. Was your DD's glove steerhide or Kip? Was it a Vinci??

A couple of other Vinci models that could work for her:

Vinci RV5700-22 is a 12" H-web thats steerhide (not kip) with a mesh back.
Vinci RCV1200-22 is a 12" basket web that's all steerhide leather, one ugly SOB though in my opinion!

May 28, 2014
My 9 year old son uses a 12" Fortus as his primary glove (first season with it) they break in extremely fast and he says its super comfortable. Vinci has designed the Fortus to bridge the gap so to speak from the 30 dollar entry level gloves up to the upper end ones and are specifically targeted to the 7-12 year old range or so. My son loves how soft it is on the cuff, and as most Vinci gloves it also has a pro pad - an extra layer of leather in the palm to absorb the shock. attached a picture of the pro pad and the cuff. The Fortus has a velcro back.

IMG_7923.jpg

I'm glad I asked this question; eye opening. I'm kind of a gear geek too, and I research things to death prior to moving on anything, thus this thread...

I'm not quite sure we're ready for $200 + gloves yet at (almost) 11 years old. I was thinking when I started this to see what was between $100 and $150, knowing full well the Nocona's of the world are $200 - $300+

I've read a lot the past few days about the Vinci and Akadema and Shoeless Jane... The common things about the SJ's are that they feel great out of the box, but that they may have shipped to you with 1 year behind them in terms of wearability and that they get flimsy.

There's a lot of Vinci love on this site, and I like what I see from the website on their gloves and in reviews. I would probably lean more to the Fortus 12" at this point for her instead of a custom or even the "ugly SOB" mentioned above...

Things I read about the Akadema is intriguing too, especially like the way they actually seem to design the glove around smaller hands. The attention to the spread and distance between the thumb and index finger as well as the smaller finger stalls. I've read great reviews on them too, but I've also read a few people say that they played out a little sooner than they thought they would.

So now what?

I'm thinking at this point that this is WAY too early to be thinking "forever" glove, and to think more about great transition gloves to bridge the gap from now to when she decides how serious this is going to be and then make another purchase at that time with a lot more informed input from her as a player... Right now she doesn't really have an opinion outside of the looks of the glove (which I'm not underestimating with girls and psyche and all; totally different than boys)

Thanks again to everyone, and keep the opinions coming... especially if anyone has more input on the fortus and the Akadema....

May 20, 2015
middle DD has a Fortus catcher's and loves it......eldest has a BV1929 12.5 (which plays more like a 12.25) which was an upgrade from a Mizuno MVP (she'd go through one a year)......it's really starting to get into really nice game shape, and is an excellent glove imho

the middle child loves the fortus mitt, and it has gotten rave reviews from others that have checked it out

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'm glad I asked this question; eye opening. I'm kind of a gear geek too, and I research things to death prior to moving on anything, thus this thread...

I'm not quite sure we're ready for $200 + gloves yet at (almost) 11 years old. I was thinking when I started this to see what was between $100 and $150, knowing full well the Nocona's of the world are $200 - $300+

I've read a lot the past few days about the Vinci and Akadema and Shoeless Jane... The common things about the SJ's are that they feel great out of the box, but that they may have shipped to you with 1 year behind them in terms of wearability and that they get flimsy.

There's a lot of Vinci love on this site, and I like what I see from the website on their gloves and in reviews. I would probably lean more to the Fortus 12" at this point for her instead of a custom or even the "ugly SOB" mentioned above...

Things I read about the Akadema is intriguing too, especially like the way they actually seem to design the glove around smaller hands. The attention to the spread and distance between the thumb and index finger as well as the smaller finger stalls. I've read great reviews on them too, but I've also read a few people say that they played out a little sooner than they thought they would.

So now what?

I'm thinking at this point that this is WAY too early to be thinking "forever" glove, and to think more about great transition gloves to bridge the gap from now to when she decides how serious this is going to be and then make another purchase at that time with a lot more informed input from her as a player... Right now she doesn't really have an opinion outside of the looks of the glove (which I'm not underestimating with girls and psyche and all; totally different than boys)

Thanks again to everyone, and keep the opinions coming... especially if anyone has more input on the fortus and the Akadema....

Cuervo, you say you're not ready for a $200+ glove yet, very understandable! Skip the Fortus, definitely skip the Shoeless Jane! I don't know enough about Akadema to comment. Contact a Vinci rep here, Chaz or the new guy in this thread Drakemir. You'd be surprised what you can buy a Vinci for!

Couple of deals on Justballgloves.com
Worth Liberty Advanced 12" for $99.99. Great deal and NO velcro!
All-Star Vela 12" for $149.99, decent deal on what I'm sure is a very good glove, 3 finger design.
Mizuno MVP Prime (GMVP1201PF1) 12" H-web for $99.99.

Of these 3, I'd spend my money on the Worth just because it's discounted like $70 and it's a great glove but I'd still contact one of the reps here and price that ME024 Vinci. Buy a glove mallet or a coated dumbbell and beat the crap out of it! Get in broken in correctly and ready and she'll have a glove that blows away a Fortus or a Shoeless Jane. I know I keep going back to the ME024, you can pick whatever model you like, I just think a 12" glove is the sweet spot for her age.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Couple of deals on Justballgloves.com
Worth Liberty Advanced 12" for $99.99. Great deal and NO velcro!
All-Star Vela 12" for $149.99, decent deal on what I'm sure is a very good glove, 3 finger design.
Mizuno MVP Prime (GMVP1201PF1) 12" H-web for $99.99.

Of these 3, the Miz MVP isn't even close to the other two in terms of quality and long-term durability.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse