For next time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd. Ball hit to RF right on the line. F9 gets the ball and throws to F3, R1 scores. R2 rounds 3rd, heading home. R1 (after scoring) crosses in front of F2 & home plate to remove the bat left lying on 3rd base line. F3, trying to make a play on R2, throws to F2. Of course, the ball goes too high and over the glove of F2. R2 scores.

I find out after the game F3 (my DD) intentionally threw the ball higher than normal because she saw R1 in front of the catcher. If she would have made a normal throw, she would have hit R1.

As a "teaching" case... what should F3 have done?

I'm pretty sure PU & BU were LL baseball umpires pressed into service for softball. It was obvious they didn't know some of the nuance rules (specifically when a runner needs to return to a base, or can leave the base).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When I was 11 YOA playing Little League baseball, a kid slid into home. Our catcher caught the ball and went down to block the plate and tag the kid out. It was a "bam-bam" play. The catcher broke the kid's leg in two places. The kid was permanently injured, and walked with a limp. The catcher was so upset by what happened he never played baseball, or any sport for that matter, again. Who won the game? I don't remember. In fact, I don't remember any Little League games we won or lost. But I do remember the ambulance, the crying child, the look of shock on the catcher's face and the sobbing parents from that game. We lived in a small town, so I got to see the kid walking around with a limp for ten years.

SO: while I understand JC Heir's point in that R1 is in the wrong, I would say to the DD, "Well, you did the right thing. R1 was an idiot, but the risk was too high. However, you should have stepped to the inside and made the throw."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am a long time 1st baseman and what the kid did was correct. I would have eaten the ball, rather than hit a player. So, I guess you could have her hold up on her throw and then complain to the ump about the player getting the bat.

I had to throw wide of 2nd base just the other night to avoid nailing someone between the shoulders. Hitting her in the neck, flashed before my face just as I released the ball.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
OUch- you both are probably right, maybe a better move is hold up on the throw & ask immediatly for the interference call & hope for a good ump.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii