For Beginning Bucket Dads - The art of pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Thought I'd contribute a tip on how we practice pitching at the end of our sessions; might be of help to those trying to get control.

We have a general grading system on every pitch as we simulate game situations towards the end of practice. Each pitch has four targets or goals: speed, location (inside/outside corner of the plate), movement and finally, keep it low. Nothing in the wheelhouse. Also, we have good misses and bad misses. A bad miss is catching too much of the plate and a good miss is anywhere else. So, after she's warmed up we'll start full on pitching calling inside, outside, CUs and now curve balls. After each pitch I'll call out....2 out of 4, 3 of 4, 4 of 4, etc. She can see where she missed. The speed is almost always there so it's a matter of movement (spin), location and keeping it low across the knees. A bad miss is a hit. What's nice is she might throw an outside drop ball but miss high. No problem...3 out of 4 will probably be a win against a typical batter we face. But bite that high drop ball in the fat part of the plate and it could be curtains. That's a hit even though she hit 2 of the 4 targets. Her control improved dramatically once we implemented this grading system. Her focus and understanding of the ART of pitching really took off.

One final tip for those starting out. I teach my girls to pitch from the far right side of the rubber (as seen from a pitchers view point looking at a batter). Our goal is to predominately pitch the low outside corner of the plate when facing a RH batter. At one point in the trajectory the ball gives the appearance of coming down the middle when in fact it's heading for the outside corner. If they hit it odds are its a grounder to first or second. Also, when pitching inside, to the batter, it looks as though it's going to hit them but just catches the inside corner.

There is an art and strategy to pitching besides the technical mechanics of pitching. Both my pitcher and catcher are seniors this year, I've been working with them both on how to call a game, they've earned the right. If fun to see them think and strategize on each batter, each pitch. Focus is way way up.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I thought about that James, I wish I had started a bit earlier with it though with IR2. Now when my girls are warming up with the nine o'clock drills we have two goals. Focus on pulling down first versus just throwing from palm up orientation and ensuring the catcher has their glove low so the pitcher throws low even when warming up. A lot of times the catcher (whether a mom, dad, anybody) has a tendency to just stick their glove out in front of them. We give them a very low target no matter what. If I see a "warm-up throw" waist high or above I make a verbal correction...Release earlier. If I had more time with these girls (I typically only get three years to take them from never thrown to legitimate pitcher) I'd teach them to throw it high as well. Varying the release for high and low is another year of training.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If I see a "warm-up throw" waist high or above I make a verbal correction...Release earlier. If I had more time with these girls (I typically only get three years to take them from never thrown to legitimate pitcher) I'd teach them to throw it high as well. Varying the release for high and low is another year of training.

Try keeping the release point identical, make high and low adjustments with spine tilt. Low pitches are a result of the release angle and a vertical spine. High pitches will be because the spine is slightly behind vertical....approx 5 degrees. Following this model will produce a more consistent brush.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd