Florida Gators Hitting ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Exactly right on the early and slow deal, she does that with her regular swing too.

Got that from the video you posted of some baseball player, I don't watch baseball and can't remember his name. That concept helped her a lot.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
A swing every golfer-dad could love. "Take the club back slowly ....." has cured many a bad swing. Would be it wrong to experiment with some struggling, bottom of the order kids with this? I wonder...

Nov 9, 2013
The only hitters should be doing this are lefty hitters who are a dual threat to slap or hit for power. Or, if there are runners on base and a right-handed may be a threat to bunt. That being said, I often see right-handed power hitters doing this, even when they have two strikes! No one can convince me this is a good strategy. Hitters who do this are often late because of all the movement in their swing. They are also very inconsistent. Hopefully, this too shall pass, just like the practice swings where softball hitters slap their shoulder with the bat. Every softball hitter was doing this and now I see only a few doing this very stupid warm-up ritual.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The only hitters should be doing this are lefty hitters who are a dual threat to slap or hit for power. Or, if there are runners on base and a right-handed may be a threat to bunt. That being said, I often see right-handed power hitters doing this, even when they have two strikes! No one can convince me this is a good strategy. Hitters who do this are often late because of all the movement in their swing. They are also very inconsistent. Hopefully, this too shall pass, just like the practice swings where softball hitters slap their shoulder with the bat. Every softball hitter was doing this and now I see only a few doing this very stupid warm-up ritual.

Lauren Chamberlain does this every time as far as I can remember. Here is her home run from last year's WCWS...1:25 mark.

Jan 25, 2011
okay, good luck with your theory, the slapping the back I agree with.

Dec 4, 2013

Pat Murphy and Tim Walton have all their kids do it. I don't know how anyone could immediately dismiss this technique if the 2 best programs in the country do it.....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The only hitters should be doing this are lefty hitters who are a dual threat to slap or hit for power.

No, this suggests to me that you don't understand the benefit.

Or, if there are runners on base and a right-handed may be a threat to bunt.

No again. You lack an understanding of the benefit, otherwise you wouldn't be making such a claim.

That being said, I often see right-handed power hitters doing this, even when they have two strikes!

The good news is that you at least acknowledge that it is a commonly employed mechanic. While you are ignorant of it, you at least are aware that it is fairly common.

No one can convince me this is a good strategy.

That is the difference between you and others. Others are open to learning and improving upon their knowledge. You acknowledge that you are not open. At least you are honest.

Hitters who do this are often late because of all the movement in their swing. They are also very inconsistent.

No again. Like any mechanic, it needs to be practiced. This mechanic, used properly, makes wise use of what you refer to as "all the movement". Further, this mechanic is used to improve consistency ..... that's why you see, as you have acknowledged, some hitters even resorting to this mechanic with two strikes .... yet it is used by many on any count during an at-bat.

Hopefully, this too shall pass,

This too shall pass??? Are you serious? This mechanic has been in use for over twenty years now. If you are waiting for it to pass then you'll have a long wait.

just like the practice swings where softball hitters slap their shoulder with the bat. Every softball hitter was doing this and now I see only a few doing this very stupid warm-up ritual.

Interesting approach. Include something that many would agree with. Problem is, you are wrong and this is nothing like the practice swings where softball hitters slap their shoulder.

Apr 8, 2010
Five Frames

Thanks for that video of Castro . My daughter uses this type of approach and happens to be very successful with it ... She says it gives her something to do while waiting for the ball. LOL... I think that's her way of saying it gives her rhythm and keeps her back.. Also I notice a little more pop in swing..

?? Do you believe this approach keeps a player better connected as the elbow drops ????

Thanks
JWP

May 1, 2011
DD's team folded earlier this year, so she's been playing with the older girls (same organization). New coach has all of her girls do this with 2 strikes. This was new to DD, but if I had a nickel for how many times she's made good solid contact with 2 strikes, either resulting in a hit or her moving a runner, I'd have a bunch of nickels. In the video here, she pulls back WAYYYY to early, but just looking at this video, she still says much shorter and compact compared to her normal stance and swing. I'm a fan.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGSHQxa0RkbTlJb2M/edit?usp=sharing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez