Florida Gators Hitting ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
I had the opportunity to watch a few college games this past weekend as most of us probably did.
What I noticed from a few Gator hitters is they are showing the bat as if to bunt but then pull back before pitcher reaches release point.
Is this a timing thing? Seems to work well. It looks like you could get good rhythm with swing and not get stuck ?

My daughter tried it in school ball and said it made her stay back and hit more line drives.

Is it bad to do it every time at bat ? If this becomes your style do you practice the same way off the tee and front toss??

Thanks
JWP

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I had the opportunity to watch a few college games this past weekend as most of us probably did.
What I noticed from a few Gator hitters is they are showing the bat as if to bunt but then pull back before pitcher reaches release point.
Is this a timing thing? Seems to work well. It looks like you could get good rhythm with swing and not get stuck ?

My daughter tried it in school ball and said it made her stay back and hit more line drives.

Is it bad to do it every time at bat ? If this becomes your style do you practice the same way off the tee and front toss??

Thanks
JWP

Yes to your points and questions. I do see some younger girls trying it, but getting in the "showing bunt" type stance, then coming back and stopping. It should be one fluid move.
Is it bad to do every at bat? IDK. I see a lot more college girls doing it at every pitch this year, used to be just on 2 strikes.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its used for timing, loading, as well as a way to help to stay compact and short to the ball. Theses reasons are why Florida is doing it. However, I call a fake bunt play that is similar. We set up in a sac bunt stance, If the corners stay home we lay down a bunt, if corners crash up we'll pull back and swing. After we do this a time or two the d typically stays back and drag bunts are an easy way to get runners on. By the 5th or 6th inning we'll move on to showing bunt and as the pitcher is in her windmill we pull back as if to swing. (Really sell it with a stride and full hand load) then just as the d is ready for a hard hit, we drop a drag bunt down.... its really kinda funny watching them scramble around clueless and the look on the third basemans face is always the same! Eyebrows way up, mouth hanging open, pissed off, shoulders drooping, as she looks in her dugout in response to her coaches screaming at her for not crashing on that bunt! LOL!!!

Jul 19, 2012
Strictly a timing and load thing. Most of those girls wouldn't bunt. Ever.

Hitter, whether MLB or college softball or HS softball, etc tend to be early. This is one way to get the load and keeping movement during the AB.

Dec 11, 2010
HS coach had my sophomore dd do this all season. I wasn't a fan at first but kept my mouth shut and let the coach do the coaching.

My lean little #2 hitter set new record for hr's in a season for our co-op softball program. She has hit a few hr's over the years but was known more for being able to bunt for hits than her power. Last year they moved the corners in on her and this year they moved the outfield back.

She says it helps her timing, helps her stay back and contact the ball deeper.

Dr. Pipes she has always had a tendency to be early, you are right on money with your comment.

Coach James, we are going to work on that, I like to see her swing away of course, but giving her green light to read the corners and go with it would be fun. I have genuine concern for a crashing third baseman if she is swinging though.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Yes to your points and questions. I do see some younger girls trying it, but getting in the "showing bunt" type stance, then coming back and stopping. It should be one fluid move.
Is it bad to do every at bat? IDK. I see a lot more college girls doing it at every pitch this year, used to be just on 2 strikes.

RHC, you are right on the money. DD draws it back "slow and early" and never stops moving. I have been mulling whether to do it every at bat this summer too how to practice. Dd uses regular swings for practice and teework.

I'll probably leave it up to her.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RHC, you are right on the money. DD draws it back "slow and early" and never stops moving. I have been mulling whether to do it every at bat this summer too how to practice. Dd uses regular swings for practice and teework.

I'll probably leave it up to her.

The "early and slow" is a big part. If she finds herself being 'rushed', then she wasn't "early and slow" enough. This mechanic should assist your daughter in getting into a basic proper sequence ... at least for many, the continuous movement from this approach will do just that. Again, avoid being 'rushed' (i.e., finding yourself needing to bring your hands back quickly).

Example follows .....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
qy7f3b.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321