Florida Gators Hitting ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DD's team folded earlier this year, so she's been playing with the older girls (same organization). New coach has all of her girls do this with 2 strikes. This was new to DD, but if I had a nickel for how many times she's made good solid contact with 2 strikes, either resulting in a hit or her moving a runner, I'd have a bunch of nickels. In the video here, she pulls back WAYYYY to early, but just looking at this video, she still says much shorter and compact compared to her normal stance and swing. I'm a fan.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGSHQxa0RkbTlJb2M/edit?usp=sharing

In this example I see no benefit to the "showing the bat early". There is no overlapping motion.

Jul 2, 2013
In this example I see no benefit to the "showing the bat early". There is no overlapping motion.

Showing the bat early is becoming more and more the norm in college softball. To argue against it is kind of stupid.

The benefits are it puts the defense off balance, not knowing whether or not a bunt is coming. At younger ages it does put some pitchers off balance. Once experienced, it does give the hitters a sense of rythym in timing the pitches. That is the benefits. They are not to be denied.

My DD does not do any of this. If she was 5 years younger, I would be teaching her to show her bat every time. Even though she is a power hitter. But this tactic only came to light the last few years. The tactic is spot on.

My only disagreement, is it is not something which should be turned on and off. Show the bat every time, or don't show it at all.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
If it is used for keeping infields off balance, do it so it looks like a bunt.
If it is a trick for loading, do it correctly, or learn to load normally.

Or, is it a trick to visualize, getting your top hand through?

To me, in this instance what is she trying to accomplish?

May 1, 2011

Which is why I said "she pulls back WAYYYY to early." It was an example of HOW NOT TO DO IT. I think posting video of girls/boys/major leaguers doing things incorrectly is good for the learning process as well. In my opinion any way. Compared to her normal swing (see link below), she's definitely much tighter and compact. But, maybe that's just her approach with 2 strikes. Notice she's choked up too. Thoughts on the "choke and poke" approach anyone?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGRVB1cGpIdXlsWjg/edit?usp=sharing

Feb 7, 2013
Pat Murphy and Tim Walton have all their kids do it. I don't know how anyone could immediately dismiss this technique if the 2 best programs in the country do it.....

On the flip side the best hitters in the world don't do it. That league is called Major League Baseball. If it was such a great advantage why wouldn't the Yankees be doing it religiously and why not do it every pitch, not just when you have two strikes on you? People say you can see the ball better and yet if you look at slow motion video the batter pulls the bat back well before the ball is released thereby negating any perceived benefit of seeing the ball better.

Jan 13, 2012

I agree. The reason it works is because when you pull the bat back, you often pull everything else back against the rear leg. When you turn the barrel, the rear leg pulls. It's a good way to get the feeling.

As time goes on, I think colleges are going to realize why it works, and move towards teaching hitters to execute the mechanic without having to pull the bat back.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree. The reason it works is because when you pull the bat back, you often pull everything else back against the rear leg. When you turn the barrel, the rear leg pulls. It's a good way to get the feeling.

As time goes on, I think colleges are going to realize why it works, and move towards teaching hitters to execute the mechanic without having to pull the bat back.

Based on Your HI level experience correct ?? Or what You have read?

Dec 4, 2013
On the flip side the best hitters in the world don't do it. That league is called Major League Baseball. If it was such a great advantage why wouldn't the Yankees be doing it religiously and why not do it every pitch, not just when you have two strikes on you? People say you can see the ball better and yet if you look at slow motion video the batter pulls the bat back well before the ball is released thereby negating any perceived benefit of seeing the ball better.

The Yankees don't have any slappers either. You should email all the top division 1 teams and tell them cut that out too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red