Florida Gators Hitting ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
In 10U, I see it used more often to try and distract the pitcher and get her to throw a ball. IME, it doesn't work as often as coaches think it will.

I'm sure a lot of the youth teams using/teaching this are not using it for the same reasons the top collegiate teams use it, and are not teaching it correctly. I talked with Bill Edwards from Hofstra about the technique awhile back, I'll try to find the email and post it

Oct 25, 2009
Well I guess that's where we differ. I don't believe all D1 coaches are experts but I think Tim Walton and Pat Murphy are as good as they get. I don't think many people on this forum get hundreds of thousands of dollars to teach the game, or had anywhere near the amount of success they had. If they do something, there is a reason.

"Cabrera doesn't do it, so you shouldn't do it" isn't good enough for me...

It's not what Cabrera doesn't do, it's what he does do! If one doesn't have a pretty good idea of why he does what he does one probably wouldn't get much from Tim Walton or Pat Murphy, either.

The ability of the players must be considered in the equation, also. ALL of the players!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
It's not what Cabrera doesn't do, it's what he does do! If one doesn't have a pretty good idea of why he does what he does one probably wouldn't get much from Tim Walton or Pat Murphy, either.

The ability of the players must be considered in the equation, also. ALL of the players!

Good point!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Since Florida won the WCWS I have noticed many a player doing this in ASA qualifiers and and college showcases and it is not going well for the hitters. Most likely since they really have no idea what they are doing. However, it may be the best thing that ever happened to pitching since pitchers are now seeing how effective a variance in tempo can be to disrupt a hitters timing. Holding your hands together for a 3 - 5 count seems like an eternity to the hitter. Had one hitter with her weight so far forward that she almost fell over while waiting for my pitcher to break her hands. :)

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Since Florida won the WCWS I have noticed many a player doing this in ASA qualifiers and and college showcases and it is not going well for the hitters. Most likely since they really have no idea what they are doing. However, it may be the best thing that ever happened to pitching since pitchers are now seeing how effective a variance in tempo can be to disrupt a hitters timing. Holding your hands together for a 3 - 5 count seems like an eternity to the hitter. Had one hitter with her weight so far forward that she almost fell over while waiting for my pitcher to break her hands. :)

GREAT! Never thought of that as a bucket dad...GREAT!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

GREAT! Never thought of that as a bucket dad...GREAT!

You have undoubtedly experienced those marathon at bats where the opposing batter endlessly fouls off pitch after pitch. My DD brings her hands together and waits focusing on the batters top hand. When they open their hand to raise it to call time out she breaks her hands which starts the pitch and timeout cannot be given. She then tubes a fastball. She has struck out hitters with their heads turned toward the umpire who never saw the pitch coming.

I have seen another pitcher that was quite adept at switching between windmill and slingshot.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You have undoubtedly experienced those marathon at bats where the opposing batter endlessly fouls off pitch after pitch. My DD brings her hands together and waits focusing on the batters top hand. When they open their hand to raise it to call time out she breaks her hands which starts the pitch and timeout cannot be given. She then tubes a fastball. She has struck out hitters with their heads turned toward the umpire who never saw the pitch coming.

I have seen another pitcher that was quite adept at switching between windmill and slingshot.

Hal is that you?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

And that is why Donny taught L.O.D. ..... in part to avoid the issues associated with being quick pitched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan