flex/dp question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
so my dd hs coach loves the flex/dp..i have a question about how he uses it and i cant find the answer
he puts his flex in the 10th slot but he will have her bat for the dp during the game sometimes..is this allowed?i was thinking maybe he could sub her in once then reenter his dp but was not sure if this was right. also he put the dp in the field for different players didnt think that was allowed.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Hope this helps, if not I'll break it down good as I can.

NFHS RULE
Designated Player / Flex

A team may use the DP/FLEX rule option provided it is made known prior to the start of the game. If the game starts with the option, it is never terminated.

The DP

The DP is an OFFENSIVE (batting) player listed in the starting lineup and is so indicated on the lineup card.
The DP must remain in the same position in the batting order for the entire game.
A starting DP and any substitute for the DP cannot be in the game at the same time.
A starting or substitute DP can re-enter one time.
The DP may be replaced by a pinch hitter, pinch runner or the FLEX.
The DP can play defense at any position. If the DP plays defense for any player other than the FLEX, that player will continue to bat in their original position and is not considered to have left the game. The DP stays on offense.
If the DP plays defense for the FLEX, the FLEX is considered to have left the game reducing the number of players from ten to nine. If the FLEX re-enters or a substitute enters as the FLEX, the DP can return to batting only, play defense for another player or leave the game if the FLEX plays offense for the DP.
The DP can never play on defense only.

The Flex

The FLEX is the DEFENSIVE player who starts the game and is listed in the starting lineup in the 10th position.
The FLEX is the defensive player who plays in the field for a player listed in the batting order.
The FLEX may play offense (bat) for the DP. The DP is considered to have left the game. This will reduce the number of players from ten to nine.
If the FLEX was batting in the DP’s position and the DP re-enters or a substitute enters as the DP, the FLEX can return to the number 10 position (this returns the number of players to 10) or leave the game if the DP plays defense for the FLEX.
If replaced by a substitute, the FLEX position remains in the lineup. The FLEX may re-enter one time provided she returns to the 10th position.
Placing the FLEX into one of the first nine positions for someone other than the original DP is considered an illegal substitution. The illegal substitute will be removed from the game and restricted to the dugout/bench.
The FLEX can never play on offense only.
Both the DP and the FLEX cannot play offense at the same time.

Jun 22, 2010
It helps me to think of it this way: You have, instead of nine positions on the field, ten positions. The tenth is "bench." You can switch, say, the right fielder and the third baseman any time without it being a substitution, right? Same thing here; you can shift the DP to any position, and any other player to the "Bench" position (except the FLEX, as noted above) without it being a substitution.

But the FLEX can only bat for the DP, and that IS a substitution, subject to all the normal reentry rules. Same thing for the FLEX going to the "bench" position.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Another way to think about it is like this:

Firstly, a Flex player is always listed in the 10 slot as they are not part of the batting 9. Secondly, think of the Flex/DP from an offensive and defensive standpoint when you have it.

Defensively, if you are using Flex/DP, you basically have a pool of 10 players to choose from to fill the 9 positions on the field. The 10 listed on the lineup card can be sent out into the field defensively each inning with no substitution requirements, with only one exception, the FLEX player must be one of the 9 out there.

Offensively, think of the Flex/DP as being married to each other. You can send the Flex player in to bat, but ONLY for the spot on the lineup card occupied by the DP. When you do that, your lineup card now goes down to 9 (you lose the FLEX) and then you must use those 9 in the field also. This now counts as a substitution because you are changing your batting 9 on the card. BUT, you can use re-entry of the DP (again, back into the Flex's batting spot you previously substituted for) and bring your lineup card back up to the 10 for defensive purposes as mentioned earlier, provided you follow re-entry rules as honus14 stated.

Hope that helps.

Now, for some of us umpires, if you REALLY want to have fun, there can be many different ABC rules that add things like Extra players and variations on FLEX/DP. Gets very confusing to alot of folks during some of the TB tournaments. I would be lying if I said as an umpire I forgot which ruleset was in place for some funky FLEX/DP, EP rules during a tourney and had not made a mistake myself.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
so my dd hs coach loves the flex/dp..i have a question about how he uses it and i cant find the answer
he puts his flex in the 10th slot but he will have her bat for the dp during the game sometimes..is this allowed?i was thinking maybe he could sub her in once then reenter his dp but was not sure if this was right. also he put the dp in the field for different players didnt think that was allowed.

Everything coach is doing is legal.

A slight correction to what has already been posted - The Flex batting for the DP, or the DP playing defense for the Flex is only a half-substitution. No player has entered the game, but one player has left the game. The player that has left the game is subject to re-entry rules.

Jun 22, 2010
A slight correction to what has already been posted - The Flex batting for the DP, or the DP playing defense for the Flex is only a half-substitution. No player has entered the game, but one player has left the game. The player that has left the game is subject to re-entry rules.
Good point.

Feb 3, 2011
We're keeping it simple here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We've got an ace pitcher who will not bat, so she will be the FLEX and listed in 10th position for that game. The DP will only hit in that game and can be placed at ANY position in the lineup.

When that pitcher (FLEX) is removed from the game, another position player will move from SS to P, and the DP (or other player) will move to SS. We'll then have 9 in the game instead of 10.

It's my understanding that the DP would remain in her original spot in the lineup that she occupied when the FLEX was in the game. Do I have this right?

Jun 22, 2008
We've got an ace pitcher who will not bat, so she will be the FLEX and listed in 10th position for that game. The DP will only hit in that game and can be placed at ANY position in the lineup.

Correct, the DP can be any of the 9 batting position in the lineup.

When that pitcher (FLEX) is removed from the game, another position player will move from SS to P, and the DP (or other player) will move to SS. We'll then have 9 in the game instead of 10.

Again, correct although the DP can play defense for anyone on the field, other than the flex, without it being a substitution. When you made your switch and moved the SS to pitch and brought in the DP, the flex has left the game and it is a substitution for the flex.

It's my understanding that the DP would remain in her original spot in the lineup that she occupied when the FLEX was in the game. Do I have this right?

Yes, the DP does not change positions in the lineup. Where ever you initially listed them in the batting order is the position they maintain throughout the game. This is also the only position the flex could bat in if you chose to do so.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Everything coach is doing is legal.

I really dislike that phrase as much as the term "Flex". Even though the flex is listed in the 10 slot, she actually shares the batting position with the DP. When either isn't performing their assignment, that player has "left" or been "removed" from the game. There really isn't a substitution of any kind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207