Fixing a Segmented Swing and a flat lead elbow...?'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Tewkser thats exactly what Im getting at. I hear some comments that make me wonder how someone can say such things. One is that the hands should fire before the hips. Where do you think this comes from? I mean anyone who swings a bat and pitches knows that cant happen against good pitching. Bad pitching you can get away with most any kind of swinging a bat. But a good pitcher will be like they looking at little red riding hood. And the pitcher is the big bad wolf.

You seem to think you are exceptional at all phases of the game. Would you care to enlighten us about your resume? Of course you don't have to but you seem to want to tell us your resume. BTW, I don't recall people here pushing some type of "hands before the hips" type of swing. If you are wondering, I am a lowly HS coach and hitting instructor. I need help so, if you care to enlighten us, I'll be reading.

Edited to add:

I agree with Eric and others that the pitcher isn't always the best athlete on the team. In fact, I often see pitchers who aren't in the top 5 athletes on the team. You can look at several D-I programs where the pitcher would be hard pressed to run a mile, complete an intensive infield/outfield practice or hit the 70 mph fastball.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018
Well cannonball heres the statement made on this thread.

IMO the only deliberate firing that should be taking place is with the hands and everything else is a reaction to want the hands are trying to accomplish.

So maybe you can tell what you think this is meaning. All the while Ill say that Ive coached my share of kids.

Mar 2, 2018
I just want to say that talking down to me wont serve any purpose. Seriously I didnt just fall off the turnip truck. Baseball and softball arent new to me. And Ill say I do like turnips greens and all.

Mar 9, 2018
Gibraltor I know Teacherman promotes hands before hips...2 pivot points, hands and hips...I also agree with you that generally pitchers are great/good athletes...if youre going to say they arent then id counter by saying many baseball players in general arent the best athletes, ie Kruk, Luzinski, etc etc

Jun 8, 2016
Gibraltor I know Teacherman promotes hands before hips...2 pivot points, hands and hips...I also agree with you that generally pitchers are great/good athletes...if youre going to say they arent then id counter by saying many baseball players in general arent the best athletes, ie Kruk, Luzinski, etc etc

Here is the point. Some pitchers are good "athletes", in terms of the measurables which are usually associated with athletic prowness. Some aren't. However show me a college team which isn't very athletic up the middle (catcher,MI,CF) and I will probably see a pretty lousy team. If gibraltor's definition of best athlete was the player who is able to most efficiently use their body to generate power, not something necessarily associated with athleticism, then perhaps he may have been right.

That said, this is getting away from the topic which is probably why the OP has posted in this thread in a while....It would be nice if he were able to post a video....

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
OK, DD3 is a 10th grader.
5'9", 175 lbs, lean and lanky looking.
She's pretty strong from lifting weights.
But she is very loose i the joints, so to speak.

She's a right handed batter.

Here's what we can't seem to fix.

Hinge angle, or the angle of the lead elbow.
Her lead elbow (left elbow) flattens when she swings.
Her lower body is very fast and rotates quickly.
But she seems disconnected or segmented at the waist.
Meaning her lower body strides forward, and when it twists and I swear her upper body stays motionless, like her waist is a ball bearing swivel.

Then what happens, is since her lower body has strided forward and twisted, her upper body is way too far behind.
And then her elbow flattens, with little or no hinge angle.
Trust me I've tried to teach her to tie her upper body to her lower body. She has a strong core.

What's a good practice routine or exercise for fix a flat elbow or hinge angle?
I've tried everything
The times she can keep a fair amount of hinge angle in her left elbow, the ball exit speeds are 10-12 mph faster than when her elbow flattens...

Ideas?
Thanks

WRT to the bold. This is what the OP wrote in the opening of this thread. This is what actively firing the hips and trying to resist with the hands will do. I could careless if a pitcher is a good athlete or not, or if I can pitch for that matter. Gib, do not flatter yourself no one ran away, your questions just aren't worth answering. If you want a honest discussion start a thread.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018
I have to tell you Gibraltor, this is an absolute first for me and probably this entire site. Most people come to this site looking for a fix to help STOP bat drag but you are actually promoting it.

Seriously drodd fiveframe is telling you something that can help your understanding. Your rearside theory is a push. Your pushing the bat. Your better off leaving bat drag to those who understand it. For your sake bat drag is a pull. The fix for bat drag isnt to overwhelm the body with the hands moving first. You dont want to create a push swing to get rid of a pull swing. And thats what your promoting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00