Fixing a Segmented Swing and a flat lead elbow...?'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Absolutely. The best athletes on a team are pitchers. They know how to use their hands to create whip. In softball they're the best hitters. Unfortunate that most coaches dont let them hit. But some do and the coach is rewarded for it. Heres a fact for you mr drodd if a softball player can pitch they can hit.

This has not been my experience. The 3 best overall athletes I've had the honor to coach are all non-pitchers. I've seen very athletic pitchers, and some who weren't. I've seen good-hitting pitchers, and some who weren't.

Based on current batting averages on my DD's current 14U TB team, our pitchers are ranked 5th, 9th, and 11th.

Your "fact" is not actually a fact.

Mar 2, 2018
So Slugger and Eric both of you disagree with me. You have have been around mediocre pitchers no problem. I may be new posting around here but I dont take a back seat to anyone. Been around softball and good pitching too long for that. Lets hear your thoughts on should the hands beat the hips in the swing. Im hoping the two of you can give your opinion on this instead of just trying to show us how softball smart you are. Or at least how smart you think you are. So how about it?

Slugger and Eric should the hands beat the hips in the swing? Thats been the discussion that someone was trying to teach us in this thread and I said no thats wrong and got attacked for saying its wrong. But I dont mind folks attacking me I just wish theyd stay and answer a few questions thats all. So lets hear it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018
Seems like to me theres a bunch of folks on here liking to talk about how their kid is the greatest pitcher or hitter in softball yet when theyre asked a question you cant find them with a search warrant. They want you to agree with them and not upset their little apple cart theyve created for themselves. Lets peel the apples and get some questions answered. What do you say?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So Slugger and Eric both of you disagree with me. You have have been around mediocre pitchers no problem. I may be new posting around here but I dont take a back seat to anyone. Been around softball and good pitching too long for that. Lets hear your thoughts on should the hands beat the hips in the swing. Im hoping the two of you can give your opinion on this instead of just trying to show us how softball smart you are. Or at least how smart you think you are. So how about it?

Slugger and Eric should the hands beat the hips in the swing? Thats been the discussion that someone was trying to teach us in this thread and I said no thats wrong and got attacked for saying its wrong. But I dont mind folks attacking me I just wish theyd stay and answer a few questions thats all. So lets hear it.

The "fact" you claim regarding pitchers being the best athletes and the best hitters I see counter-examples of at every level of the game - youth rec ball, travel ball, and college. Are there some? Sure...at every level. Generally speaking, as the level of the game goes up, the number of pitchers who are also one of their their team's top hitters goes down.

I will sometimes also use the phrase "hips before hands" (among other instruction) with hitters whose swing is dominated by their arms and have little to zero power contribution from their body. What cues get used and what instructions are given will vary depending on the hitter, their current pattern, and how they respond. My approach to the swing includes a phase of resisting the turning of the lower body with the upper body to create tension. If you want to call that "hips before hands", okay.

Can you please provide a link to a thread where a DFP'er is showing off his DD who is the greatest pitcher or hitter in softball? I'm curious to see what they look like. I've seen a lot of pretty good DFP'er DDs, but have yet to see anyone post that their kid is the greatest. Mostly, it's people looking for ways to help their kid get better. Maybe I just missed it.

Also...The only one bragging how smart they are is you. It's juvenile, and you're a troll.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Fair enough. So Im saying your with me on not teaching to fire the hands before the hips. Right?

I don't want the hands being pushed forward ahead of the hips as the start of the swing sequence. If that's the same as what you're saying, I agree with it.

Mar 2, 2018
Good now weve got some discussion going on. Maybe the others who ran away will come back and discuss with us.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fair enough. So Im saying your with me on not teaching to fire the hands before the hips. Right?

It's my understanding that "hands before hips" is a Hitting Illustrated thing. And it isn't a case of pushing the hands forward ahead of the body's rotation. It is the turning of the barrel (combined with hip slip) that then fires the hips. Under that construct, the hips are fired as a result of TTB, not vice versa. Essentially the hands are the "trigger". I am not familiar with anyone stating that the hands should be pushed forward ahead of the hips. At least not on DFP.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It's my understanding that "hands before hips" is a Hitting Illustrated thing. And it isn't a case of pushing the hands forward ahead of the body's rotation. It is the turning of the barrel (combined with hip slip) that then fires the hips. Under that construct, the hips are fired as a result of TTB, not vice versa. Essentially the hands are the "trigger". I am not familiar with anyone stating that the hands should be pushed forward ahead of the hips. At least not on DFP.

My understanding as well is the hands stay back as they turn the barrel. Creating a deep rotational point.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00