First year 14's plus middle school sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
How do other coaches go about putting priority on Softball during the fall in this situation. I am getting a ton of backlash from parents and school sports/homework schedules anytime i attempt to schedule anything during the week. These families did not come from sporting backgrounds so practice every day until 5:30 for school vball then leaving for a 6:30 softball practice ONCE A WEEK is not something they can handle. Of the 4 pitchers on my team 3 are working with a pitching coach during the week and of the 2 catchers 1 is working with a professional coach. My number 2 pitcher and number 1 catchers families tell me they are too busy to do anything else and dont want to burn their daughters out. Our first tourney is the 14/15 and I scheduled a turf practice inside the 11th and you would have thought i ran over the family dog with the replies i got. Of my 12 girl roster all are multisport athletes and a few softball will be their focus and even college careers from. I am afraid that the teams overall attitude towards softball vs school sports will push a few of my star players to seek more committed teams.

Am i expecting too much here as a coach? 13O team coming off a 40-13 season, and I dont want to see us regress due to lack of commitment
It really depends on the level. Junior High and Freshman year tend to create numerous conflicts as girls want to play other sports for the social aspect as well as the sport. If you are expected to be an A level exposure team practice shouldn't be questioned unless they need to travel hours to get there. On an A level exposure team the above situation needs a serious conversation on priorities and commitment to the team. Everyone's goal on an exposure team is presumably to play in college so by not being committed you are holding others back. Your star players will leave in this situation unless something changes.

If you are a talented local B level team with a few A level players trying to make the jump to A level exposure than given what you laid out your team is in trouble and it will regress. You cannot win the battle of making those who want to play multiple sports committed to softball first. You will also lose the battle of trying to keep the softball first kids happy. This is decision time. If you sold everyone on exposure A level ball and you don't think it can happen because of lack of commitment then encourage the more committed players to seek out the appropriate team for their goals and change your schedule to accommodate for their absence.. If you sold them on B level ball then you might be able to hold it together if you don't push to hard on the commitment level, however in this case you should still expect the higher level players to eventually leave. No one is right or wrong in this situation they just want different things for their kids. This scenario plays out every year at 13 and 14U as families try to figure out the path for their kids to take. Softball can be tough as fall is traditionally recruiting season and that begins at 14U. As a coach encourage everyone to follow their heart, not to hold grudges and be happy for others success weather on the softball field, the classroom or the court. This situation just might not be a good fit for everyone.

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2013
Something to watch for in softball/volleyball players is shoulder strains in girls who are (volleyball) hitters. The overhead hitting motion is very similar to the throwing motion in softball, leading to repetitive stress injuries across sports. (Personal experience with my daughter.)
I’m dealing with this exact injury with my DD currently. She’s a center fielder and hitter. She went to a college recruiting day and I believe she was a bit overzealous. That coupled with the 6 days per week vb practices and she’s got a strain. Working with the trainer now doing stretches and the usual ice, rest and nsaids. I think she’ll be the dh and scorekeeper this coming weekend tournament 😬

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid