Breaking in Period for Easton Ghost 2022 (Dud?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2022
My daughter's Easton Ghost Advanced 2021 model recently gave up the ghost (outer skin coming apart - bat cracking). While waiting on a new warranty bat - she needed a bat - so I bought the 2022 model (so would have spare if broke on road). Is there a breaking in period for these bats?

This bat does not Sound the same (old one made "crack" sound - this one is more like a thud) and the ball is actually coming off the bat at least 6-7MPH slower - according to the Hit Trax at our local hitting facility. Same girl hitting - about 3 weeks apart.
  1. IS there a breaking in period for these bats?
  2. Is there such thing as a "dud" bat?
  3. Anyone have any experience with this?
  4. If so - what did you do?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
So not sure if the GA needs this but I have DD break in bats this way regardless of what mfg says about break in period. In 50 ball segments, 25% power, 50% power, 75% then full swings. Of course after each hit she rotates bat around a bit.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2022
So not sure if the GA needs this but I have DD break in bats this way regardless of what mfg says about break in period. In 50 ball segments, 25% power, 50% power, 75% then full swings. Of course after each hit she rotates bat around a bit.

Thank you for responding. So - how long does it usually take to break in to the point that it performs like your previous bat(s) did?

Aug 18, 2018
Thank you for responding. So - how long does it usually take to break in to the point that it performs like your previous bat(s) did?
Good question. Never asked DD that one before. Won't have an answer right away but will know ask when she breaks her new GA in shortly.

Yes the 2022 Advanced does take a bit to open up. Out of the wrapper ours was down some on the Hit trax as well. She's been working on it and after several weeks it's webbed up good now. It sounds good now and this weekend she was back to putting many of her hits over the fence during front toss. We're going to her instructor this Thursday and we'll know then how it compares to her older Advanced speed wise. But with it webbed up as much as it is now I've already told her to put it up and only use it in games. Now that's broken in she likes the feel and sound of it a lot more. Keeping working it!

Mar 28, 2022
Yes the 2022 Advanced does take a bit to open up. Out of the wrapper ours was down some on the Hit trax as well. She's been working on it and after several weeks it's webbed up good now. It sounds good now and this weekend she was back to putting many of her hits over the fence during front toss. We're going to her instructor this Thursday and we'll know then how it compares to her older Advanced speed wise. But with it webbed up as much as it is now I've already told her to put it up and only use it in games. Now that's broken in she likes the feel and sound of it a lot more. Keeping working it!
Thank you for responding. This is VERY helpful. Sorry for the dumb question - but when you say "webbed up" is that referring to the "crinkled" appearance it gets when you have had it a while? Again, thank you. She loved her old/previous bat. She will be glad to hear there is hope that the new bat may come around. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. This is VERY helpful. Sorry for the dumb question - but when you say "webbed up" is that referring to the "crinkled" appearance it gets when you have had it a while? Again, thank you. She loved her old/previous bat. She will be glad to hear there is hope that the new bat may come around. Thank you.
Yep, crinkled is a great way to put it. It's especially noticeable in the paint details such as Easton or the red trim.

Jun 26, 2014
Seguin, TX
We experienced the same thing. Once it opened up, it only comes out for games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802