First game ever! Any advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I can't imagine one of my DD's pitching a tournament as their first experience pitching. We went the route of learning to pitch in a safe Rec ball environment before playing in tournaments. Kudos to her coach if he actually has the patience to sit through all of the bad outings and horrible pitching during tournaments to let her learn to pitch. I hope the other parents on the team will also be so patient.

She's pitching in a scrimmage tonight so it technically won't be her first time ever. It'll be her second. We seem to have a pretty great group of parents, and our coach is great too. That said, we have a couple of girls who want to pitch on our team who will not be pitching at tourneys. Mine is inexperienced, but she's good. I know I'm her mom, biased, etc etc, but you hear it from strangers enough and you figure it's probably true. ;) I imagine she'll walk plenty of girls though, we'll see. Our other 2 have 1 and 2 years of 10U pitching so if she's floundering we have plenty of backup.

My advice is to sit in right field so she can't see you. I can't tell you how many young pitchers I see look at their parents after every pitch. If she can't find you, that's one less obstacle for her. Give her the same response after the game regardless if she struck them all out or walked them all. This is a LONG journey and enjoy the ride.

Historically she's been really focused during games. It's like I'm not even there. But we'll see. I think I'll have a hard time score keeping from right field. I figure I'll cheer some but mostly just keep the book quietly.

Jun 12, 2015
We're home and it went really well. We went 2-2 in the tournament, which was our first tournament as a team and the first 10U tournament ever for 5 of our girls. 3 are straight from rec so I feel like we did really well. Our 2 losses were 5-2 and 8-2 so we didn't get totally killed in any game. The 8-2 was against the Fury, who I think were undefeated going into the championship. I know one team they beat 20-1 yesterday, so I feel pretty darn good even about the losses. Our defense looked amazing up to the last game. I think they were nervous about the Fury so they didn't play as well. I think we'd have won 3 of the 4 had we gotten more experience hitting. We'll get there.

So the good stuff :) My DD did awesome pitching. She pitched in game 3, which we won 13 to 1. They were definitely the weakest team we played, which I'm ok with for her first time pitching. But she absolutely loved it. Against the Fury he pitched one of our experienced pitchers and she was throwing wild. He pulled her and my DD was begging to go in and pitch, so I guess they didn't intimidate her :) He ended up putting in our other experienced pitcher though. Now, I'm not gonna say that's why we lost, but.... I kid, I kid. She (pitcher they put in for the last half) did great. My dd was bummed she didn't get to go in but I told her, just keep practicing and she'll get more games.

I was using iScore for the first time, which is awesome btw, & that definitely helped me not be so nervous by keeping me focused on something else. I was far less nervous than I expected anyway. She was very collected and calm, which helped. She told me she wasn't nervous at all (she WAS nervous hitting - in 8U she was a power hitter, can't remember the last time she struck out. But she definitely struggled a lot with hitting yesterday).

So overall, we had an awesome first tournament. :D

If your DD doesn't get worked up, stays calm and focused that's 75% of the battle of becoming a great pitcher,(good for her) as for you being nervous I don't think that ever goes away lol just try not to show it easier said than done. this year my DD went to ASA nationals in Sacramento 12u, (I wasn't able to go due to work) we have 2 equally as good pitchers as the so called aces and a third pitcher to fill in. well my DD was playing 2nd while it was the other pitchers turn to pitch. (im watching the game via gamechanger btw) and she is pitching a great game, we were up 6-3 bottom of the 7th 1 out bases loaded so my DD hadn't pitched the whole game no time to warm up and they pull the pitcher and put my DD in, I remember thinking to myself ohhh boy this has ugly written all over it, I got so nervous for my DD I couldn't even watch the end of the game and walked out to the garage, anyway it ended well she struck out the 1st batter so 2outs and the next batter popped up for the 3rd out ending the game. but think about it I got worked up watching a screen on a computer haha!

Jun 12, 2015
If your DD doesn't get worked up, stays calm and focused that's 75% of the battle of becoming a great pitcher,(good for her) as for you being nervous I don't think that ever goes away lol just try not to show it easier said than done. this year my DD went to ASA nationals in Sacramento 12u, (I wasn't able to go due to work) we have 2 equally as good pitchers as the so called aces and a third pitcher to fill in. well my DD was playing 2nd while it was the other pitchers turn to pitch. (im watching the game via gamechanger btw) and she is pitching a great game, we were up 6-3 bottom of the 7th 1 out bases loaded so my DD hadn't pitched the whole game no time to warm up and they pull the pitcher and put my DD in, I remember thinking to myself ohhh boy this has ugly written all over it, I got so nervous for my DD I couldn't even watch the end of the game and walked out to the garage, anyway it ended well she struck out the 1st batter so 2outs and the next batter popped up for the 3rd out ending the game. but think about it I got worked up watching a screen on a computer haha!

Imagine if you'd been there! Haha.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sitting in the garage watching DD pitch, the police would have been called.

I do not know what is going on next door but it sounds like a riot, can you please send someone over to check it out?

Nov 24, 2012
Make sure she has fun. Pitching is a long ride enjoy it and have fun with it. Before you know it they are in high school and the ride is almost over.

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
Glad it was a successful outing and it left her wanting more. That is a good sign. as already mentioned focus on the positives and save the issues that need work for the next practice. There will eventually be a bad outing. Still focus on the positives as there are always some!

As a siide note, the red solo cup trick does help to calm the nerves!

Enjoy this long ride you have started on. We are just a couple of years in to it ourselves but it sure has been fun so far and I already dread the day it comes to a stop!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12