First game ever! Any advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
my DD's first game was in rec ball. i just sat there and took pictures.
just have fun. if you can take video, do so. it's always memorable. i regret not having video... but a ton of pictures is better than nothing.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Get a GoPro and a Lynkspyder - you are going to want to get this on video. Regardless of the outcome it will be special and a fond memory. Learning to be a great pitcher is a marathon, not a sprint, so learn from the mistakes and make corrections.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My DD was starting pitcher right out the gate at 9U Nationals. I think I was more nervous than she was. I only offered words of encouragement when she was on the mound. I also tried to keep it light. If you tense up, she might too. DD did better than I had hoped at Nationals. (14 innings, 28Ks)

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
My 9 year old's been pitching since Jan but finally, we are going to see what she can do in a game. We have our first ever 10U tournament this weekend. We have 3 pitchers, it's a 4 game guarantee. Our other 2 pitchers have 10U pitching experience, aren't much ahead of where mine is when it comes to the technical aspects of pitching, but obviously that experience difference is major. The coach plans to play her at 1st or possibly short at first, let her watch some before tossing her onto the (non)mound. My plan is to keep score and be quiet. Her dad's AC though so he can't be quiet. ;) I'm nervous as hell. We're a brand new 10U team (with 7 of 11 who have played 10U before, all but 1 from playing up - we only have one 05 player) with an A organization, and will be facing some VERY tough teams. Coach isn't easing us in with B/C tourneys. We're going for it right out of the gate.

So tell me, experienced pitching parents. What's your best advice for me as a parent and for her as a player, going into this first ever tournament? We have a scrimmage tomorrow night and she'll get to pitch then so technically that'll be her first time in a game situation, but a scrimmage doesn't carry the same level of pressure as a tournament.

Where are you playing this weekend? Big tourney or just a regular local event?

I live this as a parent and a coach...DD2 pitches and I'm not into the daddy ball scene so it's a double whammy for me...

The word nervous is NOT to be used in the household until Monday...

Tell her she should be excited about pitching this weekend...because it is FUN!

Tell her she should be excited about pitching this weekend...because her practice and dedication earned her the spot to pitch...

When you are leaving in the morning to play, tell her "go have some fun today...I want you to smile every inning." Remind her of this during the game.

And for God's sake...show nothing but "positives" during the game! No jaw clenching, pacing or hair pulling allowed...they read your body language! And when she looks over to you r for support...just a thumbs up no matter what happens...

...Oh...and if I find out you were on the sidelines calling out non-sense like "just relax" "take a deep breath" "focus" "just throw strikes" "release it just a little earlier\later" or any other stupid cues that people say to the pitcher I'll track you down and pluck your nose hairs :)

Most of those callouts are more appropriate for the labor and delivery ward than the softball diamond :)

Some true stories...

I've done shots with parents before their DD"s first start...mine were really iced tea because I'm the coach and theirs were Crown or SoCo just to get them to relax.

I've had my catcher's dad break out the red solo cups with the pitcher's parents to get them to relax...9+% IPA's at 8:00am are very effective at dulling the senses...

I had a mom who was so wound up I talked to her between the 1st and 2nd innings about easing up her body language. She came back 15 minutes later smelling like Cheech and Chong...no problems the rest of the way :)

..and one last piece of advice, she gets ice cream (or whatever her favorite treat is) after the game...tell her this before hand...

Please post how she did...I'm certain there are quite a few folks who are curious about this...CP

Jun 12, 2015
Ha!! I wonder if I should sneak a bong and some tequila into the park. That's hilarious. I think I'll be ok though. I've never kept the book before so hopefully that'll keep me occupied.

I'll definitely post how she does. It's. USSSA tournament, about 90 minutes from home.

Jun 12, 2015
Get a GoPro and a Lynkspyder - you are going to want to get this on video. Regardless of the outcome it will be special and a fond memory. Learning to be a great pitcher is a marathon, not a sprint, so learn from the mistakes and make corrections.
We did this already for this reason. We're waiting on the stupid mounting piece to attach it to the Lynk Spyder. I'm starting to get nervous it won't get here. I haven't found one locally.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
My best advice is to smile alot, cheer really loud and go get ice cream afterwards. They grow up really fast. Cherish these times and make great memories.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Others have already said what I would say. Be sure to let her know that you loved watching her pitch/play and can't wait to see her go at it again (regardless of outcome)...and don't utter one word of critique. She knows. :)

Kudos to you for keeping the book. I paced the outfield fence because I couldn't sit still. :)

LOL'ing at the drinking/cheech and chong comments. Really wish I had coaches like that!! LOL!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes