Finding Dedicated Parents/Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2020
I've known coaching is hard both mentally and emotionally. I've been doing it for 8 years. However, lately the biggest struggle is finding the girls to make a team. I've got the practices lined out, constantly looking at new tricks and trades, even went as far as getting a better job so that I can devote more time for the team. But for some reason I can not for the life of me get girls to show for tryouts. It sounds horrible but I have a few that are all in but I can't make a team out of pick ups and prayer. I have had flyers blasted all over social media as well as local businesses. Any tips before I give up?

TIA!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 12, 2020
I should add its a 10u team out of east texas. So its not like its snowing and unable to practice.

May 1, 2018
Well the real answer isn't solvable. But in my area of North Dallas there are only you know....5,000 teams. All of them are watered down to some point, because select isn't select anymore. So keep plugging away, be better than the other coaches, instructions, how you are with the girls, all of it...... that's it.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is the time of year families take a break and having tryouts right now other than having private tryouts won't bear much fruit. With that said, keep posting that you are looking for players and continue to do so. I had to form a team with only two returning players after graduating 9, 1 moved to another state, 2 went to other teams. It can be done. I am imagining the first tourney of the new year will be in February, so you have time.

Aug 25, 2019
I've known coaching is hard both mentally and emotionally. I've been doing it for 8 years. However, lately the biggest struggle is finding the girls to make a team. I've got the practices lined out, constantly looking at new tricks and trades, even went as far as getting a better job so that I can devote more time for the team. But for some reason I can not for the life of me get girls to show for tryouts. It sounds horrible but I have a few that are all in but I can't make a team out of pick ups and prayer. I have had flyers blasted all over social media as well as local businesses. Any tips before I give up?

TIA!

First off, Props to you for changing jobs to be a better coach, that's quite an extreme!...... When my DD first started softball in rec at 9 yrs old, I didn't know anything about travel ball until DD was 11 and a friend asked her to join his team. .As for recruiting, you know better than us what your area looks like softball-wise. I say see how the Rec program is in your area and start there, I guess you probably already coach that. Some towns and areas are just not into softball. Also, is there a facebook page that encompasses local softball?....That's how most of the recruiting is done in our area, a facebook players wanted ad site.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020
First off, Props to you for changing jobs to be a better coach, that's quite an extreme!......As for recruiting, you know better than us what your area looks like softball wise. Some towns and areas are just not into softball. Also, is there a facebook page that encompasses local softball?....That's how most of the recruiting is done in our area, a facebook players wanted ad site.
I've posted in every recruiting page I know know as well as city pages and those buy/sell/trade pages.

The job part was an easy decision. I went from working 60hrs a week to 40 and every weekend. Coaching has been a passion since the very first time I did it in 2012.

Nov 12, 2020
Pitchers pitchers pithers..... And a good catcher. 10u? rec ball? Who is going to pay to watch the ball bounce past the catcher and hit the backstop. Oh, and it is December!
Travel and in East Texas tournaments slow but never really end. We have a handful of dedicated girls at the moment and they are both catchers and pitchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd