Trouble finding players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
Hello,

Just needing some advise. I am the head coach of a 12u first year team. I am having trouble finding a full roster because we are not a national organization or don’t quite have the credentials yet. I have 5 girls who are committed, did have 6 but she quit today as “the fall season hasn’t met their expectations” when we have only played one tournament so far. No other reason was given.

Should I keep the fight for my girls and keep trying to locate players or should I dissolve the team so that my parents won’t have to spend any more money on a team that may or may not work?

I love this game and I’m a first year coach which I’m sure plays a part of it but I’m a former player, assistant coach, and softball parent. Do I need to mention my credentials when reaching out?

Sincerely,

I just need helpful advice please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
How are you playing tournaments? Pickup players?

You really are going to want about 10-11 committed players.

did you have tryouts? How many showed up....did you offer but girls turned you down?

need jsut a little more info

Jun 24, 2019
How are you playing tournaments? Pickup players?

You really are going to want about 10-11 committed players.

did you have tryouts? How many showed up....did you offer but girls turned you down?

need jsut a little more info

Yes
I’m familiar with how many players I need committed, the issue is getting them.
Yes
Several and yes I offered and they decline.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One other thing to consider would be to find a team in a similar situation and contact them about a possible merger. I have seen this work with some success when there were multiple teams trying to find full rosters.

This I wish would happen more often but it requires people to put aside their egos which is not easy. You might even have to be an AC or not coach at all, but it would probably be best for the players you have,.

But yes, this is probably the direction I would take as well.

Apr 28, 2019
Hello,

Just needing some advise. I am the head coach of a 12u first year team. I am having trouble finding a full roster because we are not a national organization or don’t quite have the credentials yet. I have 5 girls who are committed, did have 6 but she quit today as “the fall season hasn’t met their expectations” when we have only played one tournament so far. No other reason was given.

Should I keep the fight for my girls and keep trying to locate players or should I dissolve the team so that my parents won’t have to spend any more money on a team that may or may not work?

I love this game and I’m a first year coach which I’m sure plays a part of it but I’m a former player, assistant coach, and softball parent. Do I need to mention my credentials when reaching out?

Sincerely,

I would suggest advertising an open tryout or two and promoting private tryouts as well. My goal would be 12 players. Since you have less than half a team currently it may be extremely difficult and frustrating to fill the roster. But definitely tout your experience and knowledge of the game. A little self promotion never hurts.
The issue at that age group is level of commitment. As you mentioned some parents/kids may want an aggressive Fall/Winter schedule and some may prefer to play other Fall/Winter sports instead. Very difficult to get 12 like minded committed kids to buy into a newly formed team.
I would give it two weeks and at that point I would want to be fair to my current 5 players and give them a chance to earn a spot on another team if things don’t work out as you would prefer them to.

Apr 28, 2019
Hello,

Sincerely,

The problem with merging with another team as some have suggested is that it won’t be YOUR team. You had no hand in the recruitment/evaluation process and really wouldn’t know what your getting yourself into.
That would be a desperation move on your part if you really feel the need to have a team. You do have a certain obligation to your 5 committed players to do everything possible to field a team they bought into. But again Your team not just a concession to fill the roster. Still looking for your type of players with your expected skill sets. Anything less would be a mistake.

Jun 24, 2019
The problem with merging with another team as some have suggested is that it won’t be YOUR team. You had no hand in the recruitment/evaluation process and really wouldn’t know what your getting yourself into.
That would be a desperation move on your part if you really feel the need to have a team. You do have a certain obligation to your 5 committed players to do everything possible to field a team they bought into. But again Your team not just a concession to fill the roster. Still looking for your type of players with your expected skill sets. Anything less would be a mistake.

And I believe I’m doing everything I can to find girls. Posting on local Fastpitch sights, Facebook, asking parents to reach out, going to league games to ask parents. I’m not sure what more I can do. I love the girls I have but also, parent are shelling out money for a team that may not exist in the spring. That’s not fair to them.

Apr 28, 2019
And I believe I’m doing everything I can to find girls. Posting on local Fastpitch sights, Facebook, asking parents to reach out, going to league games to ask parents. I’m not sure what more I can do. I love the girls I have but also, parent are shelling out money for a team that may not exist in the spring. That’s not fair to them.

It sounds like your exhausting all avenues. Unfortunate situation but it may be time to call it.
The problem is there are so many teams out there and loyalty means nothing anymore. Good kids get poached/leave for greener pastures and the rest of the average/decent kids scramble to find a solid team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K