Fielding Masks in College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2009
I seldom see college players wearing masks whether playing F1, F3 or F5. A HS pitcher's parent toldl me a college coach sais he dosn't like F1s who wear masks because he thinks they are afraid of the ball. So his daughter no longer wears a mask when pitching.
Is this true?
I have heard of several college pitchers who had reconstructive surgery after a shot to the face. And had a pitcher on our team when at 14U take one to the face but fortunately only had a concussion and 40 stitches. I don't understand the lack of safety at the higher levels.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Machismo, or, as appicable, the female equivalent. Coaches, not players. Explain to me how a player can hit w/ a helmet and face mask, but can't field w/ a lightweight mask? And how do catchers ever make any plays wearing a full helmet and mask? In 5 years we'll see most Ps and corners wearing masks (or else we'll be using Softee balls).

GM

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I think that as the younger girls reach the college level, they will insist on wearing them because they grew up with them. It is like the many girls who continue to wear facemasks on their helmets even though they don't have to. As someone who has been hit in the facemask, it is a nice thing to have. I think eventually the fielding masks will be seen more and more often.

May 4, 2010
I seldom see college players wearing masks whether playing F1, F3 or F5. A HS pitcher's parent toldl me a college coach sais he dosn't like F1s who wear masks because he thinks they are afraid of the ball. So his daughter no longer wears a mask when pitching.
Is this true?

I don't know if this is true or not, but it is sad if it is. After watching the regional playoffs this weekend I only saw one pitcher from Notre Dame (3rd pitcher & freshman?) to wear a mask. Danielle Spaulding of UNC took quite a scary shot directly to her face against WA. In MI our high schools will require masks for the corners and pitchers next season. I don't know if that is how it is for other states. And I think Amanda is right that as the younger girls reach college they will be use to wearing them and not think twice about it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was hit with a line drive last week, but I wear a GameFace. It knocked me back to reality.

I was watching a 12U travel team this morning and I don't know why, but they had their batting helmets on on defense. It was at a practice. They haven't done that in the past.

The dad though, that was pitching from 30 feet, only had a ball glove.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
That will be interesting to see how they enforce the requirement of wearing non-NOCSAE approved equipment.

Agree. In a way, I can understand why a lot of people are for having to have the equipment certified, even though it will make all older masks illegal because they do not have the seal.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't know if anyone has studied the results of better equipment in football--BUT:

It doesn't reduce the number of the injuries. The more protective equipment people wear in sports, the more risks the person takes, resulting in the injuries remaining constant.

E.g., football helmets are light years more advanced than those of the 1950s and 1960s, but the number of concussions has not been reduced. Why? Football players take more risks because they have better equipment, and therefore they get hurt as much. (This doesn't happen in driving with seat belts because there are limits (speed limits e.g.) on the risks a person can take.

Perhaps as soon as the girls wear face masks, they (or the coaches) will be more aggressive about charging bunts and playing iin.

May 4, 2010
Yes I do think a lot of players can get a false sense of security with them and be more aggressive/take more risks because they are wearing them. They are facemasks, not body armor and they still have to be smart with them. I would guess without reading any studies, that it does reduce the amount of facial fractures/breaks, teeth being knocked out, eye injuries and such, but it does leave plenty exposed to still be injured. The head is still exposed, the throat is not protected, chest and so on. If the coach or player gets more aggressive with the charging, although facial injuries will be down, other injuries could increase? Have they done a study on injuries since changing the balls, or adding the facemasks to helmets?

Btw I may of been wrong when I said MI high schools were doing this next year, it may just be our conference or area (in MI) starting next year. HS coach said it was statewide but others say not so sure. I would bet that it wont be long before it does get adopted state wide though.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06