A good article on face masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Graham would rather be safe than sorry
By JENNY DIAL
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
June 15, 2010, 11:02PM

De la Torre Chronicle
The former Dawson pitcher is headed to play softball for San Jacinto next year.
Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! Buzz FacebookStumbleUponEmail

When the line drive struck Brooke Graham on the left side of her forehead just above her eye, she didn’t move.
Graham, a pitcher for the Dawson softball team, didn’t fall over, drop to her knees, cry or call for help. She just stood motionless in the circle, slowly moving her hands up to her face.
“I knew my face was broken,” she said. “It didn’t hurt. I didn’t feel any pain, but I knew my face was broken.”
The ball off the bat of Friendswood second baseman Carrie Flores ricocheted off Graham’s head and bounced almost back to
home plate before her coaches made it onto the field to check on her.
Graham stood with her hands over her face, afraid to move, as former assistant coach Krystal McDonald tried to talk to her.
“I thought she was exaggerating because she didn’t fall and there was no blood,” McDonald said. “I finally got her to move her hands and saw a dent about an inch deep in her forehead. It was pushed completely in. I just took a breath and told her everything was fine, even though in my head, I thought, ‘This is bad. She is going to die.’ ”
That was April 13, and Graham, who is headed to San Jacinto College to play softball next year, no longer has a dent in her head. Instead, she has a titanium plate where the top of her skull used to be. She also has a scar that goes from ear to ear — like a headband — after undergoing reconstructive surgery six days later.
She also has something else as a result of her injury — a face mask that she plans to wear when she enters the pitcher’s circle.
“If I could go back, I would have been wearing a face mask to pitch for years now,” Graham said. “I had the opportunity when I was younger, but I didn’t like the way it felt or looked. I wish I could go back.”
With her recovery complete and her return to the game set for this fall, Graham has a new mission in mind. She wants to raise awareness of head injuries for softball players in the hope that more will consider wearing a mask while playing in the infield.
While some pitchers, third basemen and first basemen wear masks, it isn’t required. The University Interscholastic League in Texas sets all its softball rules and policies in accordance with the National Federation of High Schools.
NFHS softball rules editor Mary Struckoff said the federation has not considered making face masks mandatory.
“The reaction times of pitchers are all different, so some need protective face wear more than others,” Struckoff said. “You also have to consider (that) if you make face masks mandatory you might be taking away some visibility from the pitcher and she could suddenly get hit in the chest. ”
The NFHS did vote to move the circle back from 40 feet to 43 feet next year, which will create more space between the pitcher and the batter.
Graham’s injury has been a hot topic of discussion among softball programs in the Houston area. McDonald, who will be the head coach at Dawson next school year, said face masks will be a requirement for her pitching staff.
At Tomball , coach Benita Dunlavy will make sure her pitchers explore their options. She has one player who already had chosen to wear a mask and two others who currently do not. Dunlavy has been coaching at Tomball since 1985 and said this year, she has heard of more head and face injuries than any other season in her career.
“It is scary,” Dunlavy said. “ The game is better now. Hitters are really good, the bats are fast and the risk is higher. As players have gotten better, the game has become more dangerous.”
Graham, who won’t play again until August, will be on the sidelines for tonight’s Breakaway Speed Softball All-Star Game at the University of Houston. She was chosen for the South team but will watch from the stands. Even the dugout is too close to the action for the 18-year old right now.
Her scar is healing and she still is adjusting to the side effects of her injury — headaches, occasional blackouts and emotional outbursts.
Graham said she wonders what it will be like to face a batter for the first time when she comes back.
“I think it is going to be weird,” she said. “But I am pretty competitive so I want to be back to where I was and be playing at the same level I was at. It will take some work, but I am determined.”
jenny.dial@chron.com

Oct 18, 2009
I never saw anything happen to a pitcher until this weekend. 12U team. Pitching distance is still 40'. On Saturday our pitcher gets a line drive hit right back to her, luckily she got her glove up to deflect/slow the ball a little but the ball glanced off the glove and hit her in the eye. Blood was everywhere. Facial cuts seem to bleed more than any other. She ended up being OK. She got 12 stitches and was begging to be back on the mound the same day for a later game. It could have been a lot worse. She got a face mask and was back on the mound on Sunday. Tough kid. My DD never wears her mask while pitching. She will now.

Another story. Strong 10u player who usually plays 12u. Forced to play 10u all stars by little league rules not allowing 10yo's to play 12. In a 10 yo all star game she rips a rocket at the shortstop and hits her in the mouth. Knocked her out of the game.

Forget all the macho stuff. These hitters at all levels are getting better, stronger and have better bat technology. Softball associations need to start implementing rules to protect these kids because some parents won't.

Feb 24, 2010
As I said on other forums - spending $40 for a face mask is much cheaper than the expense of surgery, permanent emotional and physical scars, and maybe lifelong medical treatments. Plus I couldn't imagine how to explain to my 2 DD's that I was too cheap to buy a $40 piece of safety equipment at the expense of their health. Yet many have no problem spending $300 for a bat, $100 for shoes, etc.

Jun 21, 2010
Wow!

Masks are getting more and more popular, which should make it easier for parents who have a hard time "convincing" their DDs to wear them. I really like seeing the young teams where all of the infielders are required to wear them. I even saw a team where the outfielders wear them as well.

A few years ago I witnessed a small 14U 2B take a shot that bad hopped and hit her in the mouth. I was in the dugout and was the first one to get to her. When she moved her hand to let me take a look, a tooth had been completely knocked out, but her braces had kept it from falling out completely. It was gruesome. Thankfully, her orthodontist was able to save the tooth.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD's travel coach's (12U) husband still pitches in men's fastpitch.....2 months ago he was hit with a line drive in the face....19 breaks in the facial bones, broken nose......DD will begin practicing with the mask once the season is complete in a few weeks as she is moving up to 14U.

May 25, 2010
I'm raising a little pitcher as well. She won't need the mask for the 8u fall season, but she's been practicing with it this summer and loves it. She will be using it in the spring because she'll be playing up in 10u (and our league actually has a few girls a year it seems who are 12 playing down in 10u).

She doesn't need to be macho and I don't need to show other people how 'cool' she is for playing without protection. I understand these injuries are extremely rare, but if the added protection doesn't adversely affect the game in any way, why not use it? Because the game photos won't show our girls' pretty little faces?? Well, everyone else can decide what works best for their own daughters, but I want my kiddo's face to be pretty *after* the game is done, too.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm raising a little pitcher as well. She won't need the mask for the 8u fall season, but she's been practicing with it this summer and loves it. She will be using it in the spring because she'll be playing up in 10u (and our league actually has a few girls a year it seems who are 12 playing down in 10u).

I wouldn't assume she doesn't need it in the fall. Until this year in our rec league, I had not seen any pitchers use the mask in 8U, however in tournment play one of our pitchers took a one hop shot to the face and cut her lip (could have been worse). By the next practice two of our three pitchers had purchased a "game face" mask. I would not be surprised that in the next couple of years, most infielders will have a mask, even in rec. It will just become as common as buying batting gloves and sliders IMO.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with the above poster.

When I put my glove on, I put my mask on. Many of the accidents that I have seen over the years have happened during warm ups. No age is safe from a wild throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi