Fielding Facemask Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I would rather see a rule requiring masks rather than some of the other
proposals in the works. My DD is wearing a mask at both Pitcher and 3B.
It is much more common to see masks now than even 2 yrs ago. She wears the
'gameface' as it is light weight. If adjusted properly, it should not interfere with her
vision once she gets accustomed to wearing it. As a coach, I suggest they wear one,
it is up to the player/parents. All my pitchers prefer to wear one

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
'gameface' as it is light weight. If adjusted properly, it should not interfere with her
vision once she gets accustomed to wearing it. As a coach, I suggest they wear one,

At what age group did all the pitchers start wearing masks? I assume your talking travel ball?

Dec 12, 2009
CT

I agree!! Some sort of full facial protection should be required for pitchers & infield corners beginning at 14U. That is when the ball starts to travel pretty fast. We require masks for batters, and believe me a line drive to the face at 90+ mph is going to be far more devastating than a fastball at 55-60 mph. Think about it...pitchers and the corners playing up are probably around 30' to 32' away. That's like 0.25 seconds to react.

Quite honestly, I even get a little nervous when the opposing pitcher doesn't wear one. I know it's her (and her parents') decision, but I never want to see something like that happen to a kid, not to mention how emotionally devasting it would be for the kid that hit the ball to live with.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I agree!! Some sort of full facial protection should be required for pitchers & infield corners beginning at 14U. That is when the ball starts to travel pretty fast. We require masks for batters, and believe me a line drive to the face at 90+ mph is going to be far more devastating than a fastball at 55-60 mph. Think about it...pitchers and the corners playing up are probably around 30' to 32' away. That's like 0.25 seconds to react.

Quite honestly, I even get a little nervous when the opposing pitcher doesn't wear one. I know it's her (and her parents') decision, but I never want to see something like that happen to a kid, not to mention how emotionally devasting it would be for the kid that hit the ball to live with.

HONESTLY, how can you be so stupid to think that some organization should have to require it?

And it is stupidity or have you forgotten all the bureaucratic BS that came with the batting face masks?

There are already good pieces of equipment out there that players can wear WITHOUT any problems. WHY in the name of god would you want to involve more people in the process that is going to do NOTHING than create another level of costs and heartache?

Actually, I know the answer. It is the lack of courage and complete parental irresponsibility. I don't know how many parents (actually dozens) who have told me, "she just won't wear one" and/or "if ASA would require it, then she would have to do it". When asked why they just don't tell their players/daughters to wear the masks or they cannot play, I get everything from silence to "she won't listen to me" to people literally turning around and walking away.

Sometimes you have to wonder who the parent is.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
SOCALSOFTBALLDAD- In answer to your response regarding age. They began wearing them
at 12U. As I stated, my dd has always worn a gameface. I just ordered a mask from SCHUTT.
This mask will give better perephrial vision than gameface and is an alloy/composite that is lighter weight
than rip-it

Jul 28, 2008
I don't know how many parents (actually dozens) who have told me, "she just won't wear one" and/or "if ASA would require it, then she would have to do it". When asked why they just don't tell their players/daughters to wear the masks or they cannot play, I get everything from silence to "she won't listen to me" to people literally turning around and walking away.

I tell my parents and players that they will not see the infield without one. I also have pictures of a few girls in our organization with shiners and seam marks across their faces, one of my own daughter from practice. Locally, we had a girl at third base for the HS team a couple years back who took a liner to the face. Broke some bones and all of her front teeth. When you can put known faces to the carnage, the parents seem to agree with their use.

I tell the girls that I have to wear eye protection, ear protection, gloves and a hard hat at work, they can wear some safety items out on the field. PPE will not hurt them.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Another point that most, if any, do not understand is that if anything is mandated, every piece of safety equipment which would be included that is now being used would have to be discarded and would be banned from use during a game.

EVERYONE would be better off if they directed the children as they wish and allowed marketing to insure the quality of the equipment

Dec 12, 2009
CT
It is the lack of courage and complete parental irresponsibility. I don't know how many parents (actually dozens) who have told me, "she just won't wear one" and/or "if ASA would require it, then she would have to do it". When asked why they just don't tell their players/daughters to wear the masks or they cannot play, I get everything from silence to "she won't listen to me" to people literally turning around and walking away.

Sometimes you have to wonder who the parent is.

Actually you supplied the answer to your own question as to why I would be so "stupid" to have an organization require it. Because parents and coaches don't have the backbone or sense to require it of their kids. So based on your response, because you don't want to deal with a bunch of bureaucratic BS, it's ok to let a 16 yo girl take a 95mph line drive in the face. If it is your dd that hits the line drive that hits her friend that pitches for the other team, will you tell her "it's ok. It's her coach's or parent's fault for not making her wear a mask". I'm sure that'll make her feel better about it when she goes to visit her in the hospital.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2009
CT
EVERYONE would be better off if they directed the children as they wish and allowed marketing to insure the quality of the equipment

EVERYONE that is, except that kid who thinks it's not cool, and that she is quick enough to catch that line drive....until she finds out she's not.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I put one on an 8 YO last night that was coming to me for fielding lessons. She didn't like it at all, but she wore it and didn't complain. (She told her mom, that she didn't like it.)

It really doesn't take many times getting hit with a liner to the shin, for the girls to put on pads, I don't want them taking one to the face.

Many men in slow pitch are telling me that they are wearing a face mask and a helmet, when pitching. There is one made by Worth, but some are wearing a lacrosse helmet. There have been some very serious accidents in slow pitch the last 12 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission