Fielding Facemask Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
My 10 yo will be pitching U12 and I want to get her a facemask. I had a Gameface that her older sister never used that I wound up trading for some catching equipment.

I expect that they all provide a similar level of safety (except the Bangerz doesn't protect the mouth). The Worth I heard is comfortable, but I'm wondering how it may compare to the Rip-it or the Gameface relative to comfort for normal play as well as those hot weekend tournaments in summer.

thanks!

Feb 9, 2009
I had the same question about a month ago, and the conclusion was that more girls seem to like Rip-It. A large number like GameFace, but not as much as Rip-It. Worth was iffy....

Sep 3, 2009
The pitcher on one of my dd's teams just started wearing one this year. She has the Rip-it because she said it was lighter and she could see better.

Feb 19, 2009
I've had Gameface which neither of my dd's liked and the Defender that my younger dd is now wearing and the Rip-It which was the only one I could get my older dd to wear and now younger dd wants one too.

I haven't found much weight difference among them although some say Rip-It is heavier than the others (metal vs. plastic). Even if the Rip-It is heavier it more than makes up for it by being cooler (temperature, not looks) and providing better visability.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, Rip It was too heavy for me. It was 5 ounces heavier than the Gameface, that I swear by. I don't even notice that I am wearing it.

But, I played in a competitive slow pitch league last year and out of all the teams at tourneys, I was the only one wearing a mask. The slow pitch men are more likely to wear a mask, than the women are.

D icks sporting goods sells the Defender.

Masks are a personal preference and I find the small size as really small.

Feb 9, 2009
At a 10U fast pitch tourny a few weeks ago, it was odd to see a pitcher or girl at 3B NOT wearing a mask....Almost all of them are wearing it now!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Everyone!
I went to Dick's to see what they had and they only had the Gameface and only one size (they had it in two sizes when I got my first one). The salesman let my DD try it on, it fit and she was happy with it and it cost less than buying it online! so we're good!

The good thing is that DD wants to wear it so I'm encouraging that. A 15 yo friend of my other DD got a "concussion" (at least that's what she called it) last week from a stray ball hitting her in the head at practice. Now she's wearing a gameface when playing 3rd or P and she's having trouble getting used to it.

Last year in the Senior League (U16 LL) a lame coach had his star pitcher playing 3B, and had her move way in on a batter that she "knew" was not going to bunt. The girl was not a power hitter but she hit a laser shot to 3b's face that took her down. She was lucky, no broken bones. The girl insisted on going back in the game, so she was allowed to the following inning, but refused to wear the gameface that a coach had offered.
Now this year the LL is considering making it mandatory for Pitchers and 3B and citing that case as the reason why.

Before Markwort bought the rights to Gameface, I remember "Gameface" had a website where there was a section showing facial injuries girls had received in softball (they were mostly Pitchers) but now that website is gone. I'd like to find a resource like that that I could direct the LL B.O.D. to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24