Fielding Facemask Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

i coach a travel team and as an organization we require all infielders to wear facial protection. they have all seemed to have gravitated towards the gameface but my DD is going to try the rip-it this season, as soon as she saw it she said she would like to try it because it is clearly less visually obstructive. since it is required throughout the organization i havent heard a single complaint, it has become as part of the gear as wearing a batting helmet. we have them wear them at practice as well and that includes indoors with the squishy ball. as soon as they understand they have to wear it there isnt much of an issue.
if you are a parent or coach involved in an organization that doesnt require them, there is NO REASON that you cant make it mandatory for your DD. once they know its law, there is no arguing and alot less complaining!

play hard and have fun!

GO DEVILS!

michael

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Actually you supplied the answer to your own question as to why I would be so "stupid" to have an organization require it. Because parents and coaches don't have the backbone or sense to require it of their kids. So based on your response, because you don't want to deal with a bunch of bureaucratic BS, it's ok to let a 16 yo girl take a 95mph line drive in the face. If it is your dd that hits the line drive that hits her friend that pitches for the other team, will you tell her "it's ok. It's her coach's or parent's fault for not making her wear a mask". I'm sure that'll make her feel better about it when she goes to visit her in the hospital.

Did you read what I actually typed? I made no such insinuation as you suggest. If I did, show me where. I have no problem with players wearing protective gear on offense. I've been giving SP players suggestions for year on where to find shin guards and masks/helmets for playing defense. If you have been paying attention, I'm against mandating equipment that should be there anyway.

BTW , it isn't me who is going to deal with the bureaucratic crap, it is you and every parent, coach and player.

What the umpire, UIC, TD and ASA Rep is going to have to deal with is the constant whining and crying as to why their dd CANNOT wear mandated equipment that is not NOCSAE-approved. Just think about how much money and sporting good stores made on you having to buy new masks for your dd's batting helmet? And it wasn't ASA, it was YOU who caused that to happen by demanding the equipment be mandated. BTW, you can choose not to believe me, but I spent a few hours at an ASA national explaining why the mask the players have been wearing for two years was no longer legal because there was no NOCSAE stamp on it. Oh, I also pointed them toward the closest sporting goods store in the Hazleton, PA area.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My only complaint about these face masks is that the last time I checked, non were NOCSAE approved.

There will be if mandated. Of course, I believe NOCSAE demands a one-year probationary period prior to receiving approval (same reason the batting masks took a second season to become required.

OTOH, I doubt there isn't already an ASTM test for such equipment. So, what it comes down to is how much do the manufacturer's care? Are the willing to submit to such standards without the equpment being mandated? If not, you can see where their priorities lie and it isn't with your wallet.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
My DD switched from the Game Face to the Rip It last fall. She prefers the Rip It. Better visibility and she doesn't sweat as much. It weighs more than the Game Face, but she says it's not an issue.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My daughter wears the Rip-It and likes it, but we saw a Schutt fielder's mask this weekend. It's looks a lot like the Rip-It, but it's supposed to be lighter. Has anyone tried it?

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Did you read what I actually typed? I made no such insinuation as you suggest. If I did, show me where. I have no problem with players wearing protective gear on offense. I've been giving SP players suggestions for year on where to find shin guards and masks/helmets for playing defense. If you have been paying attention, I'm against mandating equipment that should be there anyway.

BTW , it isn't me who is going to deal with the bureaucratic bullshit, it is you and every parent, coach and player.

What the umpire, UIC, TD and ASA Rep is going to have to deal with is the constant whining and crying as to why their dd CANNOT wear mandated equipment that is not NOCSAE-approved. Just think about how much money and sporting good stores made on you having to buy new masks for your dd's batting helmet? And it wasn't ASA, it was YOU who caused that to happen by demanding the equipment be mandated. BTW, you can choose not to believe me, but I spent a few hours at an ASA national explaining why the mask the players have been wearing for two years was no longer legal because there was no NOCSAE stamp on it. Oh, I also pointed them toward the closest sporting goods store in the Hazleton, PA area.

I did read what you typed, and I have been paying attention. You say that there shouldn't have to be a rule requiring something that everyone SHOULD do. Well the reality is that not everyone IS doing what they should do. So obviously leaving it up to parents/coaches isn't getting it done, with the result that kids will be injured by line drives to the face. And very often, these injuries are not just bumps & bruises...they can be pretty catastrophic and long lasting.

It is obvious that kids SHOULD wear batting helmets, but we still have a rule requiring it; it's obvious that catchers SHOULD wear protective gear, but we still have a rule requiring it.

BTW..catchers are required to wear chest protectors and shin guards, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no "bureaucratic bs" associated with that type of equipment.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My daughter wears the Rip-It and likes it, but we saw a Schutt fielder's mask this weekend. It's looks a lot like the Rip-It, but it's supposed to be lighter. Has anyone tried it?
Looks similar but I think I like the solid metal band around the forehead on the Rip-It. I just picked up two Rip-it masks and the girls loved them. We have two more on order.

How about a Ti version!

Looks similar but I think I like the solid metal band around the forehead on the Rip-It. I just picked up two Rip-it masks and the girls loved them. We have two more on order.

How about a Ti version!

I am about to order my daughter a Rip-it facemask but am unsure of the right size. She is almost 14 5'6" and lean, should I purchase the adult or the child size? I am unable to find one around here to try on. I'd appreciate any input.

thank you

Jul 11, 2009
I am about to order my daughter a Rip-it facemask but am unsure of the right size. She is almost 14 5'6" and lean, should I purchase the adult or the child size? I am unable to find one around here to try on. I'd appreciate any input.

thank you

I would go with the adult. Just got my daughter one. She is 5'6" and 14. Tried on both and said youth size did not feel right.

On another note about legality of masks. Daughter plays 8th grade ball. The other night at her game when ump was inspecting equipment he told her that if she still had her mask (brand new) for high school she would not be allowed to use it because it did not have a stamp on it. I wish she would have told me this before ump leftball park because I would have liked for him to clarify. Because it has been my understanding that because the masks are not mandatory there is no stamp that is put on them because they do not have to comply with any governing standards. I am in Ohio. Does anyone know if this has changed for high school ball?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1