Field umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
MS story...

DD was picked off 1st, she was safe wasn't close. Ump had a bad look and I think they randomly picked.

Being the nice quite parent I am yelled out Ask for help!

Ump thought about it for a second or two, then asked field ump for help. They said they were not paying attention or something like that.

Only time I have seen HC go ballistic, it was fun to watch.

DD was still out.

(Field ump called her out, asked for help from plate ump. Messed that part up)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
The base umpire is correct - it's not their job to interject with the count. However, if I'm the plate umpire, and if there's a question, then I should be asking my partner.

I've lost the count before. It happens.

Exactly...when this happen to me a few times I would call the BU over and we would talk about it and given any doubts walk over to the official scorekeeper, usually this happens with some intervening action like stolen base and ball getting thrown around maybe close or controversial play...then the count gets lost. Usually one of the three of us will have a clear memory or point out what happened in these instances I always want to use everything at my disposal to get the call right but in the end if no one can agree you have to decide to go with your best recollection which is usually what you announced.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The base umpire is correct - it's not their job to interject with the count. However, if I'm the plate umpire, and if there's a question, then I should be asking my partner.

I've lost the count before. It happens.

The issue here seems to be that the PU was pretty sure he didn't lose the count (which also happens! We all make mistakes and are certain we didn't). It sounds like the coach should've politely asked the PU if he could check with the BU. At least I think that's the way to play that, but I imagine some umpires are going to get mad if you ask them to confer with the other umpires.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish