FFS and others please give feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
We just attended Crystl Bustos camp on Saturday and it was awesome! There were 14 girls and it was like going to softball school for these girls. Here is the problem... The next day when my dd went to practice she tried to utilize all of the new technique she had learned. Her coach corrected her repeatedly and she left feeling frustrated. My background is pt and EVERYTHING she said made great sense! My daughter is only 8 and I would love for her to fix her mechanics while she is young but hard to do when the coaches are still teaching old school. Even the simple drill on one knee of flicking the wrist Crystal wants the elbow to extend straight to teach the chest to come forward. Dd coaches said NO WAY! How can I work on her hitting if she is going to be told she always doing it wrong.

Does Bustos have anything close in the future?
Are her coachs interested in going to it and asking her questions?

If all that does not work then, there are a few around that can try and help her.

Straightleg

Oct 19, 2009
We just attended Crystl Bustos camp on Saturday and it was awesome! There were 14 girls and it was like going to softball school for these girls. Here is the problem... The next day when my dd went to practice she tried to utilize all of the new technique she had learned. Her coach corrected her repeatedly and she left feeling frustrated. My background is pt and EVERYTHING she said made great sense! My daughter is only 8 and I would love for her to fix her mechanics while she is young but hard to do when the coaches are still teaching old school. Even the simple drill on one knee of flicking the wrist Crystal wants the elbow to extend straight to teach the chest to come forward. Dd coaches said NO WAY! How can I work on her hitting if she is going to be told she always doing it wrong.

It seems to be a common problem, you get your young player in front of a great coach to learn and then a well meaning untrained coach disputes what was taught. It was frustrating to my daughter as well.

Daughter uses the mechanics taught by Bustos and Howard and has been very successful using their mechanics.

I told daughter to be polite, use the mechanics that work for her, don’t allow a well meaning untrained coach to have you second guessing your mechanics.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'd never really looked into Bustos past, just enjoyed what I'd seen on tv. But it really sounds like a rag to riches story. DD said they watched some video of her and discussed her background as an inspiration during the HS softball class.

Almost dropped out her freshman year of HS.
Suspended several times for fighting.
Shoplifting.
Didn't get to walk for graduation, had to take summer school classes.
Only played Juco. ( I didn't know that )
Had signed LOI for 4 year university but couldn't keep her grades up in the Juco.

DD said they didn't get to finish the video in school. So now I'm curious, how did she wind up playing for team USA? ( the process )

Oct 19, 2009
I don’t know the complete story, but my daughter and I had the opportunity to meet her at a clinic she put on in Atlanta, GA and she is very inspirational in how she talks about her struggles to get to where she is now. She is also a great teacher who relates very well to the students, coaches and parents.

She set many of the hitting records in JUCO many still stand today.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
GotBustos.com » events

Here is her website.
They have some contact information on it.

Like you I have met her and my DD attended a couple clinics. We ate lunch with her.

I just happen to live 30 min. away from Howard one of her hitting coach's and the guy who used to travel with her at clinics.

SL

Jul 11, 2009

I know what you are going through, except my daughter was a freshman and it was her varsity coach that conflicted. So didn't really have the option of finding another coach. I took dd to a Bustos clinic and to several trips to a very good hitting coach that teaches her prinicples. Varsity coach found out we were going to hitting coach. She prides herself on teaching hitting. When my daughter went into a slump, coach immediately blamed it on hitting coach and demanded my daughter stop seeing him. I spoke with coach and explained that dd was still work in progress. I thought everything was good, but then the next week varsity coach told my daughter that if she ever wanted to play varsity she had to stop seeing hitting coach. Talk about an ego trip. So anyhow dd decided to stop going. I said we should keep going and not let varsity coach find out, but she was afraid to get caught. Needless to say she has not lived up to all the potential everyone seen in her as a freshman. Now her swing is all screwed up and varsity coach still blames hitting coach, even though we haven't been there for 2 years.

Mar 12, 2009
[video=youtube_share;kPow0gfioNA]http://youtu.be/kPow0gfioNA[/video]

You guys never really saw a full swing but here is one to look at. We have practiced some but I don't think she gets the stretch you guys recommend. Also, it looks like to me she starts her hands before anything else. Please give feedback!

If one of you can slow it down that would be great!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
This is from Lclifton on another post...I like it:
Fun with cues,
I explain to the girls I work with that if I'm going to snap someone with a rubber band, I've got part of the band around my first and second finger and I pull back with my other hand...thumb and forefinger. Now, if I push my thumb and forefinger forward, (the parts that are doing the stretching), the rubber band will end up "stinging less"...it will have no snap / pop, whatever the word you'd use to describe it. So, why would I pull it back only to "release it a little" before actually releasing it? The answer is, "I wouldn't do it that way."

There seems to be some comfort or safety in sort of 'guiding the bat a little first'....then releasing it. It seems more accurate to them. But it is both less accurate and far less powerful. Release the rubber band from the fully stretched spot. (Sting that person with the rubber band, don't EASE into it by releasing it a bit, first).
Make sense?
You may, you just may, end up with a superior back leg, if they learn to not leak the arms.
At the very least you could end up with a hitter that is in better position to utilize that back leg more correctly.

I do the drill a lot where your hold the lower half ahead in the swing....your rear knee is farther down and in...the lower half is at the position where it would normally be when making contact with the ball.

From that lower half position, pull back the upper half and load the back...pull the bow string or nudge the person behind you with your elbow. Do it slow...over exaggerate it....and FEEL THE STRETCH as much as possible up the rear side, from the hip socket to the back of the shoulder...tighten the stretch...and let the rubber band go....FIRE.

When my sick kids get done with there homework on the big computer...I will come back with more.

Last edited:
Her biggest issue is not involving her lower body she is basically just rocking back and then letting go forward with upper body.

There is no load/coil with the lower body even her upper body tilt is only minor rock back.

Even though from the upper half it looks like she has a good powerful swing if you look slowly in the video it is almost like she is just standing there and swinging.

I don't think it will take a whole lot she just need to start using her lower half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi